Home Latest Alleged N1.35bn Fraud: Absence of Lamido, others stall trial

Alleged N1.35bn Fraud: Absence of Lamido, others stall trial Updated for 2021

82,137FansLike
2,966FollowersFollow
2,690SubscribersSubscribe
82,137FansLike
3,122FollowersFollow
2,690SubscribersSubscribe

Updated: February 25, 2021


EThe trial of a former governor of Jigawa State, Sule Lamido for an alleged N1.35 billion fraud could not continue on February 25, 2019 due to his absence and those of his two sons, Aminu and Mustapha, and Aminu Wada Abubakar, with whom he is standing trial.

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC had charged them before Justice Ijeoma Ojukwu of a Federal High Court, Abuja, on an amended 43-count for allegedly using Bamaina Holdings Ltd and Speeds International Ltd to siphon state funds for personal use.

[read_more id="2" more="Read full article" less="Read less"]

All the defendants were absent in court, but sent in an application, which indicated that the third and fourth defendants were contestants in the senatorial elections that held on February 23, 2019.

Signed by Barth Ogar Oluohu for Kanu Agabi, SAN, lead counsel for the defence, it noted that, “Collation of results from respective wards will be done on Monday, February 25, 2019”, and thus the contestants would need to be present at the collation centre where the results were to be officially announced.

The defence further urged the Court to adjourn to any date after the 2019 general elections, “to enable them participate fully in the elections”.

Counsel for the EFCC, Chile Okoroma, however, noted that the absence of all the defendants amounted to a lack of respect for the court.

“The prosecution witnesses had already been assembled, and the first, second and eight defendants ought to have been present as a mark of respect to the Court,” he said.

While adjourning to April 4 and 5, 2019 Justice Ojukwu, warned the defence that “the court does not operate at their convenience”, noting that the application did not account for the whereabouts of the first, second and eight defendants.

[/read_more]

Today News Africa
Today News Africahttps://todaynewsafrica.com
Today News Africa is a US-based international news organization focused on US-Africa policy and breaking news. Our goal is to provide truthful and exclusive stories to a diverse audience across North America and the African Continent. Subscribe to our news page at https://todaynewsafrica.com/ and Follow us on Twitter @todaynewsafrica

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Trending Now

TRENDING

Human Rights Watch concludes Abiy Ahmed’s soldiers bombed civilians to death, schools, hospitals and markets in Tigray region

Ethiopian federal forces carried out apparently indiscriminate shelling of urban areas in the Tigray region in November 2020 in violation of the laws of war, Human Rights Watch said on Wednesday. Artillery attacks at the start of the armed conflict struck homes, hospitals, schools, and markets in the city of Mekelle, and the towns of Humera and Shire, killing at least 83 civilians, including children, and wounding...

Stay connected

[/read_more]

[read_more id="2" more="Read full article" less="Read less"]

error: Alert: Content is protected !!
Reddit
Tweet
Share
Share
Pocket
Share
More