Biden campaign rejects Trump demand to delay next two debates as Trump goes from ‘I won’t debate to delay debate’

The Biden campaign on Thursday rejected a request by the Trump campaign to delay the next two presidential debates by one week so that they can be held in person.

The Biden campaign rejected the offer, saying, “Trump’s erratic behavior does not allow him to rewrite the calendar.”

The debate commission announced earlier on Thursday that the next presidential debate would be virtual because of health reason.

But Trump said he will not participate in a virtual event, which is scheduled for October 15. The last debate is scheduled to take place on October 22.

In a statement, the Trump campaign said the would only participate if the debate is held in person, and if both debates are pushed back by one week.

“As President Trump said, a virtual debate is a non-starter and would clearly be a gift to Biden because he would be relying on his teleprompter from his basement bunker,” said Trump campaign manager Bill Stepien.

“Voters should have the opportunity to directly question Biden’s 47-year failed record of leadership. We agree that this should happen on October 22, and accordingly, the third debate should then be shifted back one week to October 29. The CPD and the media cannot hide Joe Biden forever. Americans deserve to hear directly from both presidential candidates on these dates, October 22 and 29.” 

Early on Thursday, president Trump told Fox Business’ Maria Bartiromo on Thursday that he will not participate in the next debate slated for October 15, shortly after the Commission on Presidential Debates announced that the next presidential debate would be virtual to keep everyone safe.

The commission said the two candidates will participate in the town hall debate “from separate remote locations.”

But Trump said the change was unacceptable to him, and he will not debate Democrat Joe Biden.

“The commission changed the debate style and that’s not acceptable to us,” Trump said on “Mornings with Maria.” “I beat him in the first debate, I beat him easily.”

The president added that he expected to “beat him in the second debate also.”

“I’m not going to do a virtual debate,” Trump went on. “I’m not going to waste my time at a virtual debate.”

The president said he wasn’t going to “sit at a computer” to debate, calling it “ridiculous.”

“They’re trying to protect Biden,” Trump said. “Everybody is.”

President Donald Trump is currently battling the deadly coronavirus, and Joe Biden had said he would not debate him in person if the President were still sick by next week.

President Trump and First Lady Melania Trump tested positive for the deadly coronavirus last week along with more than 30 people in the White House.

The White House outbreak has continued to expand and the senior Pentagon military leadership has also gone into self isolation.

Chief White House Correspondent for

Simon Ateba is Chief White House Correspondent for Today News Africa. Simon covers President Joe Biden, Vice President Kamala Harris, the U.S. government, the United Nations, the International Monetary Fund, the World Bank and other financial and international institutions in Washington D.C. and New York City.

Show More
error: Alert: Share This Content !!
Share
Reddit
Tweet
Share

Adblock Detected

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker