300,504FansLike
227FollowersFollow
6FollowersFollow
FollowersFollow
906FollowersFollow
138SubscribersSubscribe

Boko Haram unwilling to negotiate release of remaining Chibok girls, Nigerian Vice President says, as new movie, Boko Haram: Journey From Evil, is released in Washington DC

Although we are headquartered in Washington D.C. USA, our reporters and editors are working around the globe to cover what you care about. We invite you to donate to our fundraiser to help us keep our quality news free and available for all.


Boko Haram terror group is unwilling to negotiate the release of 113 remaining Chibok girls kidnapped in northeastern Nigeria in 2014, a Nigerian activist quoted Vice President, Yemi Osinbajo, to have told her in the capital Abuja.

Bukky Shonibare, who was speaking in Washington DC on Thursday at the premiere of a fresh movie on the terror organization “Boko Haram : A Journey From Evil“, told those in an attendance that most of the remaining 113 Chibok girls are said to be held by the factional leader of Boko Haram, Abu Mus’ab Habeeb Bin Muhammad Bin Yusuf al-Barnawi.
But Barnawi does not seem to be interested in any talks with the Nigerian government, according to Mr. Osinbajo.

al-Barnawi, who was the spokesman of Boko Haram before ISIS announced him as the leader of the ruthless, deadly organization in February 2015, is believed to be even deadlier than Abubakar Shekau, the notorious Boko Haram leader, who had been announced dead three times, only to re-emerge like a ghost in videos threatening more bloodshed and horror.

Shonibare came to the limelight in Nigeria as she and others continued to demand more efforts from the government for the release of the Chibok girls after they were abducted in their school in Chibok, about 130 kilometres from Maiduguri, the capital of Nigeria’s northeastern state of Borno on April 14, 2014.

The mass kidnap of about 276 girls triggered outrage and condemnation and partially led to the defeat of Nigerian former President Goodluck Jonathan by retired military Major-General Muhammadu Buhari.

Buhari vowed earlier on to take on Boko Haram, free the Chibok girls and bring peace to the devastated Northeast, but his government was accused of inaction in the first year of the administration until more than 100 girls were released following prisoners swaps with Boko Haram fighters later on.

The new film,  “Boko Haram: Journey from Evil”, showcased the resilience of Nigerians in the face of Boko Haram atrocities.

It aired, for the first time, part of 18-hour footage of Boko Haram atrocities and propaganda obtained by the Nigerian army and released to Voice of America, the producers of the movie.

The footage left the audience gasping and brought a close look inside the minds, propaganda and atrocities of Boko Haram like never seen before.

Panel discussion at the United States Institute of Peace on Thursday November 2, 2017, following the premiered of the movie Boko Haram: A Journey From Evil

Boko Haram is the terror organization operating around the Lake Chad Basin in West Africa, which has killed tens of thousands of people in Nigeria, Cameroon and Chad, and displaced more than two million others since 2009.

Thousands have also been kidnapped and journalists who ventured into the war zone for coverage have often paid either with arrests, prisons or intimidation.

The publisher of Simon Ateba News Africa, Mr. Simon Ateba, who now lives in Washington DC, was in 2015 arrested by the Cameroonian security forces, detained for days in inhuman conditions and accused of being a Boko Haram spy while investigating the living conditions of Nigerian refugees at the Minawao refugee camp in Cameroon’s far north.

The Boko Haram barbarity continued on Wednesday night, with a suicide bombing in the locality of Zamga in the Mayo Tsanaga division in Cameroon’s far north, just days after eleven Cameroonians were beheaded by Boko Haram nearby.

“A suicide bomber blew herself up at 19:45 local time in front of a mosque,” said Mayo Tsanaga Prefect, Mr. Djoboina Jean Daniel. “The attack killed 6 people, including 5 civilians and the young suicide bomber,” he added. Many people were injured.

[read_more id="2" more="Read full article" less="Read less"]

[/read_more]

In neighboring Nigeria, many soldiers were recently ambushed and killed.

All said, the incursions of the Boko Haram sect have claimed nearly 400 civilian victims in Nigeria and Cameroon since April of this year, “more than twice as many as in the previous five months,” according to a report released last September by Amnesty International. In Cameroon, the Belgian Institution counted 158 civilians killed by the Nigerian jihadist organization since April, while the rest of the victims were civilians in Nigeria.

But it’s not all doom and gloom. Citizens, especially in areas directly affected by the conflict, are finding innovative ways to successfully resist the insurgency.

It is these stories of hope and resilience shared by three Nigerian women that were showcased in the new film, “Boko Haram: Journey from Evil”.

The new film was aired at the United States Institute of Peace (USIP) in Washington DC on Thursday, and a panel discussion follwed afterward.

Narrated by award-winning actor David Oyelowo (“Selma”), the one-hour documentary provided context to the on-going conflict and profiled the brave actions of Nigerians who bring hope to their communities even in the midst of crisis.

The movie focused on the causes and effects of the Boko Haram insurgency in Nigeria and emphasized what Nigerians were doing to fight back.

It however, seemed to have fallen short on the real causes of the war, which is believed to be the battle for oil in Borno by foreign powers.

It also seemed to neglect the thousands of people killed in Cameroon and hundreds of thousands displaced there.

USIP said it was “co-hosting the Thursday, Nov. 2, event as part of its ongoing efforts to advance a broad strategy for building peace in Nigeria, including dialogues among the governors of Nigeria’s northern states and civic leaders”.

“Boko Haram: Journey from Evil” was produced by Voice of America.

The panel discussion after the premiere of the movie included Fati Abubakar, who has been documenting the stories of the survivors of Boko Haram insurgency with her still camera.

Abubakar said too often attention is on the bomb blasts, the bloodshed and other acts of horror. But beside them, there is the story of the survivors that she is documenting with her camera and posting on her website, bitsofborno.com

She called on the government of Muhammadu Buhari to continue driving the terrorists away, identify problems that need to be solved and tackled them.

Also in attendance were Ibrahim Ahmed, Managing Editor of Digital Media, Voice of America, Washington, D.C., Shareef Khatib, North East Regional Initiative, Abuja, Nigeria, and Beth Mendelson, Senior Executive Producer of Boko Haram: Journey from Evil, Voice of America, Washington, D.C., and Oge Onubogu, Senior Program Officer, Africa Programs, USIP.

The discussions were moderated by Tom Wheelock, Senior Vice President, Creative Associates International, Washington, D.C.

Simon Ateba
Simon Ateba
Based in Washington, District of Columbia, United States of America, Simon leads a brilliant team of reporters, freelance journalists, analysts, researchers and contributors from around the world to run TODAY NEWS AFRICA as editor-in-chief. Simon Ateba's journalistic experience spans over 10 years and covers many beats, including business and investment, information technology, politics, diplomacy, human rights, science reporting and much more. Write him: simonateba@todaynewsafrica.com

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Trending Now

300,504FansLike
227FollowersFollow
6FollowersFollow
1FollowersFollow
906FollowersFollow
138SubscribersSubscribe

JUST IN

Rights group finds Twitter still failing women over online violence and abuse

Twitter is still not doing enough to protect women from online violence and abuse, despite repeated promises to do so, new...

Amnesty International describes Trump administration’s threats to pull federal resources from cities because of Black Lives Matter protests as ‘damaging’

Amnesty International on Monday described the Donald Trump administration's threat to pull federal resources from three cities run by Democrats because...

Should Trump run again or resign as U.S. records worst coronavirus death toll in the world with 200,000 Americans dead?

In normal circumstances, President Donald Trump should have offered his resignation letter a long time ago, rather than run for re-election,...

IMF says Senegalese economy severely hit by COVID-19 would rebound in 2021

The International Monetary Fund (IMF) said on Monday that the Senegalese economy, which has been severely hit by COVID-19 pandemic, would...

Boost for global response to COVID-19 as economies worldwide formally join COVAX

64 higher income economies have now joined the COVAX Facility, with a further 38 economies expected to sign in the coming days

MOST POPULAR

Damning report finds detainees in Iran were sexually abused and given electric shocks in gruesome post-protest crackdown

Iran’s police, intelligence and security forces, and prison officials have committed, with the complicity of judges and prosecutors, a catalogue of...

IMF approves disbursement of additional $1 billion for Angola to respond to COVID-19 economic fallout

The International Monetary Fund (IMF) on Wednesday approved the disbursement of an additional $1 billion for Angola to respond to...

USAID awards millions of dollars to Washington State University to combat lethal livestock disease in East Africa known as East Coast Fever

The U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) has awarded millions of dollars to Washington State University to combat a lethal livestock...

Ethiopia charges prominent opposition figure Jawar Mohammed with terrorism

As human rights organizations continue to warn that Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed is turning Ethiopia into a dictatorship, his administration on...

WHO and UNICEF sign 10-year partnership to promote mental health of children and adolescents

 A new partnership between WHO and UNICEF is calling for key actions in universal health coverage, mental health, emergencies and nutrition

Rights group finds Twitter still failing women over online violence and abuse

Twitter is still not doing enough to protect women from online violence and abuse, despite repeated promises to do so, new analysis by Amnesty International has revealed.The Twitter Scorecard grades the social media company’s record on implementing a series of recommendations to tackle abuse against women on the platform, since Amnesty first highlighted the scale of the problem in its...

Stay connected

[/read_more]

[read_more id="2" more="Read full article" less="Read less"]

WhatsApp
Reddit
Share
Tweet
Share