By Simon Ateba/Lagos
Boko Haram terrorists killed two Cameroonian soldiers on Saturday night during a gunfight, another indication that Abubakar Shekau’s men are still in the Sambisa forest.
Cameroonian newspaper, L’Oeil du Sahel, said both soldiers were killed in the mountains of Iyawa in the Nigerian territory inside the Sambisa forest.
Cameroonian troops have been helping Nigeria overcome its militants and a joint military action in December led to the fall of Boko Haram’s stronghold in the Sambisa forest known as “camp zero”.
But danger remains and more than 200 kidnapped Chibok girls remain missing even with the upbeat announcement by President Muhammadu Buhari on December 24 that the terrorists had been defeated.
In Cameroon, thousands of people have been killed in the country’s far north since 2013 and hundreds of thousands have been displaced.
Long serving leader, Paul Biya, has vowed many times that the Nigeria-based militants would soon be a thing of the past, but years after, his countrymen continue to die while he has never visited the region under siege to bolster the morale of troops dying for the nation.
On Sunday, President Buhari of Nigeria, called on his countrymen not to despair, as they remembered the Chibok girls, exactly a thousand days after they were abducted in Borno state.
The mass abduction in the night of 14 April 2014 shocked the world and triggered outrage and condemnation and created the impression that the then Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan was incompetent.
He was defeated by Buhari the next the next year in 2015. President Buhari on assumption vowed to rescue the girls, but so far, only 24 out of 276 girls have been rescued 20 months after he took over from.Jonathan, declaring that the war against Boko Haram would not be said to have been won unless the Chibok girls were reunited with loved ones.
That has not happened. At least not yet.