Breaking! Buhari’s Government Loses Bid to Try Dasuki Secretly

Although we are headquartered in Washington D.C. USA, our reporters and editors are working around the globe to cover what you care about. We invite you to donate to our fundraiser to help us keep our quality news free and available for all.

The Federal Government on Tuesday lost an appeal at the Federal High Court Abuja to conduct secret trial of former National Security Adviser, Colonel Muhammad Sambo Dasuki (Rtd) in the charges of unlawful possession of firearm and money laundering brought against him in September 2015.

The court said there was no point for the witnesses billed to be called to testify in the matter to wear masks and bear pseudo names and addresses so as to facilitate their protection.

Delivering ruling in an application for secret trial of former NSA, Justice Adeniyi Ademola held that the federal government had in its charges listed the names and addresses of 11 witnesses to be called to testify against Dasuki and made same available to the general public and as such there was no basis for any hide and seek game in the trial.

Justice Ademola in the ruling that lasted over one hour, rejected the plea by government that the court during Dasuki’s trial be sought against the general public except the lawyers involved in the trial and accredited Journalists.

Justice Ademola said that there was no basis to grant the request of government to make the witnesses wear special mask, bear pseudo names and addresses because the charges against Dasuki was not terrorism related and that there was no information that the life of any of the witnesses billed to be called was being threatened by anybody of group.

The Court held that although, it has a discretion to look into such issues of protection of witnesses in a criminal matter but that such discretions must be judicially and judiciously used only in cases where threat to life has been established by the prosecution.

In the instance case, Justice Ademola said that government failed to establish any fact that life of its witnesses was being threatened and as such no court of law would accede to such requests without established reason.

The Judge had earlier ordered the Federal Government and its agent the Department of States Security Service (DSS) to henceforth allow the detained former National Security Adviser, Colonel Sambo Dasuki have access to his lawyers and family members in the interest of justice and the rule of law.

Justice Adeniyi Ademola issued the order following complains by counsel to Dasuki, Mr Ahmed Raji SAN that his client was being held incommunicado since December 2015.

The judge who was not comfortable with the complaints of Dasuki’s lawyer gave a ruling in which he ordered that Tuesdays and Thursdays be set aside for Dasuki to have free access to his lawyers and family members for at least two hours of the day.

The court ordered that the meeting of Dasuki with his lawyers and family members should take place at the Interview Room of DSS Headquarters and the Federal High Court premises in Abuja unhindered. In the order, the judge granted the defendant access to four lawyers and two members of the family on the dates and venue chosen by the court.

Justice Ademola after issuing the order, which he said must be complied with by the Federal Government adjourned the trial of the former NSA till May 18-19, 2016 at the instance of lawyers in the matters.

In another development, the judge also refused to discharge Dasuki and prohibit the federal government from prosecuting him on the ground of the refusal to allow him enjoy the bail granted him.

In his ruling, Justice Ademola said that Dasuki ought to have filed contempt charges against the federal government for the disobedience to lawful court orders made last year admitting him to bail and permitting him to go abroad for his medical check-up.

The court said that since due process was not followed by a way of contempt charge, there was no way the court would have discharged the defendant and prohibit his trial by the federal government.

Raji had complained that his team could not prepare adequate defence because the DSS has rebuffed all efforts to see the client. The counsel told the judge that the uncooperative attitudes of the DSS got to the peak when  the 95-year-old father of Dasuki and former Sultan of Sokoto, Alhaji Ibrahim Dasuki along with other family members were denied access to their son in custody.

[/read_more]

[read_more id="2" more="Read full article" less="Read less"]

TODAY NEWS AFRICA
TODAY NEWS AFRICAhttps://todaynewsafrica.com
TODAY NEWS AFRICA is registered and headquartered in Washington, District of Columbia, United States of America. Our publication is widely read, respected and influential. By providing daily answers to questions our readers have about the people, the businesses and the continent of Africa, we are reaching a diverse and wide audience from around the world. Our readers, many of them world leaders, trust us because we are independent and truthful. Our advertisers understand the difference between news, views and ads. Contact us: contactus@todaynewsafrica.com

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Trending Now

300,504FansLike
227FollowersFollow
6FollowersFollow
1FollowersFollow
906FollowersFollow
138SubscribersSubscribe

JUST IN

IMF has given $31 billion to 76 countries to respond to COVID-19, including over $10 billion to 47 low income nations

The International Monetary Fund (IMF) has given $31 billion in emergency financing to 76 countries in the world to respond to...

Gunmen ambush convoy of Governor Umar Babagana Zulum of Borno State in Nigeria, kill several people

President Muhammadu Buhari has condemned an ambush on Friday on the entourage of Governor Umar Babagana Zulum of Borno State, which...

Central African Republic President Faustin Archange Touadéra announces candidacy for December election

Central African Republic President Faustin Archange Touadéra has announced his candidacy for the presidential election next December.“It’s...

Mali’s new president, 70-year old former defense minister Bah Ndaw, sworn in following coup

Newly sworn in Mali's president is 70-year old former defense minister Bah Ndaw. President Ndaw was inaugurated on Friday, five weeks...

More than 300,000 used condoms being packed for resale intercepted by police

More than 300,000 used condoms which were being packed for resale have been seized during a police raid in Vietnam, Reuters...

MOST POPULAR

Ethiopia charges prominent opposition figure Jawar Mohammed with terrorism

As human rights organizations continue to warn that Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed is turning Ethiopia into a dictatorship, his administration on...

Damning report finds detainees in Iran were sexually abused and given electric shocks in gruesome post-protest crackdown

Iran’s police, intelligence and security forces, and prison officials have committed, with the complicity of judges and prosecutors, a catalogue of...

Bill Gates praises Africa’s response to COVID-19 but warns against collateral damage

Microsoft founder Bill Gates on Sunday praised Africa's response to the novel coronavirus but warned against collateral damage, including a drastic...

Activists warn Nigerian President bill will render anti-corruption agency EFCC ‘a toothless bulldog’

Nigeria's Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project (SERAP) has sent an open letter to President Muhammadu Buhari urging him to “urgently instruct Mr...

Ramphosa urges world leaders to fight racism, grant Africa more Security Council seats, lift sanctions against Zimbabwe and Sudan and cancel continent’s interests on debt

African Union Chairperson, the President of South Africa, Cyril Ramaphosa, on Tuesday, urged the United Nations General Assembly to fight racism,...

IMF has given $31 billion to 76 countries to respond to COVID-19, including over $10 billion to 47 low income nations

The International Monetary Fund (IMF) has given $31 billion in emergency financing to 76 countries in the world to respond to COVID-19 pandemic, including over $10 billion to 47 low income nations."The Fund and its response to the Covid-19 crisis. As of today, we have given emergency financing to 76 countries, that's totaling around $31 billion at this...

[/read_more]

[read_more id="2" more="Read full article" less="Read less"]

WhatsApp
Reddit
Share
Tweet
Share