Home BUSINESS Cameroon suspended from World Trade Organization

Cameroon suspended from World Trade Organization Updated for 2021

82,130FansLike
2,966FollowersFollow
2,690SubscribersSubscribe
82,130FansLike
3,122FollowersFollow
2,690SubscribersSubscribe

Updated: February 26, 2021


Cameroon has been suspended from the World Trade Organization for failure to meet with the designated contribution to the world body amounting to 180 million franc CFA.

The suspension from WTO which prides itself of over 160 members representing 98 percent of world trade, will affect technical assistance and training rendered to Cameroon as they have been imposed a category III administrative sanction.

[read_more id="2" more="Read full article" less="Read less"]

The news was first reported by Cameroon’s Daily tabloid, The Guardian Post, earlier this week. We gathered that the Minister of Trade, Luc Magloire Mbarga Atangana is urging authorities in the country to comply with its obligations towards the international organization to prevent further sanctions. Cameroon, we should recall has been a member of WTO since December 13, 1995.

Minister Luc Magloire is said to have referred the matter to the Prime Minister’s office requesting that the country complies with the requirements of WTO’s Trade Facilitation Agreement.

 “I have the honor to inform you, Mr. Prime Minister, Head of Government, that the arrears of our contributions to the World Trade Organization have now peaked at CFA francs 138 million for 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018,” the trade minister wrote to the country’s Premier ,  Dion Ngute Joseph, adding there is another CFA francs 42 million to be paid for the financial year of 2019, making an aggregate amount of CFA francs 180 million.According to Mbarga Atangana, Cameroon is currently subject to category III administrative sanctions, which consist of the suspension of all technical assistance activities and the denial of any access to training organized by the WTO. “Only the clearance of these arrears would allow our country to regain its rights within the Organization,” he stressed.

[/read_more]

Site Default
Site Default
AMOS FOFUNG Nkunchoh is a multi-talented journalist with an intrinsic passion for investigative, politics and conflict reporting. He's based in the U. S.A.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Trending Now

TRENDING

Human Rights Watch concludes Abiy Ahmed’s soldiers bombed civilians to death, schools, hospitals and markets in Tigray region

Ethiopian federal forces carried out apparently indiscriminate shelling of urban areas in the Tigray region in November 2020 in violation of the laws of war, Human Rights Watch said on Wednesday. Artillery attacks at the start of the armed conflict struck homes, hospitals, schools, and markets in the city of Mekelle, and the towns of Humera and Shire, killing at least 83 civilians, including children, and wounding...

Stay connected

[/read_more]

[read_more id="2" more="Read full article" less="Read less"]

error: Alert: Content is protected !!
Reddit
Tweet
Share
Share
Pocket
Share
More