China’s richest man Jack Ma donating anti-coronavirus medical supplies to all African nations

Although we are headquartered in Washington D.C. USA, our reporters and editors are working around the globe to cover what you care about. We invite you to donate to our fundraiser to help us keep our quality news free and available to all.  

China’s richest man Jack Ma has announced he was donating medical supplies to all African nations to combat COVID-19, the respiratory disease caused by the novel coronavirus.

Jack Ma promised to send 100,000 face masks, 20,000 test kits and 1,000 medical use protective suits to each of Africa’s 55 nations.

According to the United Nations, Africa has 54 countries, excluding Western Sahara. The African Union recognizes 55 countries on the continent, including Western Sahara.

[read_more id="2" more="Read full article" less="Read less"]

The 55-year-old founder of e-commerce conglomerate Alibaba is providing the goods through Jack Ma Foundation and Alibaba Foundation.

The two organizations will immediately start working with medical institutions in Africa to provide online training material for COVID-19 clinical treatment, Mr Ma said in a statement.

The donations will be flown to Addis Ababa, the capital of Ethiopia, and distributed to the rest of Africa from there .

“The crisis is proving to be more difficult and longer lasting than any of us had expected,” Mr. Ma said in a statement.

“We must make every effort to get prepared. The past two months show us that if we take it very seriously and are proactive, we are more than capable of containing the virus.

“Now it is as if we were all living in the same forest on fire. As members of the global community, it would be irresponsible of us to sit on the fence, panic, ignore facts or fail to act.

“We need to take actions now!’

Mr. Ma’s timely donation comes as the novel coronavirus has spread to at least 26 countries in Africa and infected over 400 people, according to the latest tally by virus tracker maintained by Johns Hopkins.

The situation has evolved quickly over the past week alone, and with several African nations promising to test more people, the picture may get darker and darker.

The virus has spread from northern Africa to the South and from East Africa to the West.

On Tuesday morning, there were 166 cases in Egypt, 62 in South Africa, 60 in Algeria, 26 in Senegal, 24 in Tunisia and 15 in Burkina Faso.

There were also 7 confirmed cases in Rwanda, 6 in Ghana, 5 in Ethiopia, 5 in Cameroon and 5 in Cote D’Ivoire. There were 3 cases in Nigeria and 3 in Kenya.

There was one confirmed case each in Guinea, Liberia, Tanzania, Gabon, Congo (Brazzaville), Somalia, Benin, Republic of the Congo, Togo, Central African Republic, Eswatini, Sudan, Mauritania and Equatorial Guinea.

Apart from Africa, Ma announced last week he wound send medical relief to the United States.

The novel coronavirus evolution in Africa is similar to the situation in South East Asia.

On Tuesday, the World Health Organization called on member states in South-East Asia region to urgently scale-up aggressive measures to combat COVID-19, as confirmed cases crossed 480, and the disease claimed eight lives.

“The situation is evolving rapidly. We need to immediately scale up all efforts to prevent the virus from infecting more people,” said Dr Poonam Khetrapal Singh, Regional Director, WHO South-East Asia Region.

Eight of the 11 countries of WHO South-East Asia Region have confirmed cases of COVID-19. While Thailand has 177 confirmed cases, Indonesia 134, India 125, Sri Lanka 19, Maldives 13, Bangladesh 5, Nepal and Bhutan one each. These numbers are increasing quickly.

“More clusters of virus transmission are being confirmed. While this is an indication of an alert and effective surveillance, it also puts the spotlight on the need for more aggressive and whole of society efforts to prevent further spread of COVID-19. We clearly need to do more, and urgently,” the Regional Director said.

[/read_more]

Simon Ateba
Simon Ateba
Based in Washington, District of Columbia, United States of America, Simon leads a brilliant team of reporters, freelance journalists, analysts, researchers and contributors from around the world to run TODAY NEWS AFRICA as editor-in-chief. Simon Ateba's journalistic experience spans over 10 years and covers many beats, including business and investment, information technology, politics, diplomacy, human rights, science reporting and much more. Write him: simonateba@todaynewsafrica.com

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Trending Now

300,504FansLike
227FollowersFollow
6FollowersFollow
1FollowersFollow
909FollowersFollow
138SubscribersSubscribe

JUST IN

Donors pledge $1 billion to Act Accelerator initiative to bolster access to COVID-19 tests, treatments and vaccines but $35 billion still needed

Donors have pledged $1 billion to the World Health Organization's Act Accelerator initiative to bolster access to COVID-19 tests, treatments and...

WHO Africa director promises ‘full, fair and transparent investigation’ following shocking sexual abuse allegations during DR Congo Ebola response

The World Health Organization (WHO) Africa director, Dr Matshidiso Moeti, has reacted to allegations of sexual abuse and exploitation in the...

South African leader tells UN summit COVID-19 and environmental degradation are closely linked and must be fought together

South African President Cyril Ramaphosa told a virtual UNGA75 summit on biodiversity on Wednesday that his administration was not losing sight...

Amnesty International USA urges Trump to condemn ‘white supremacy and racist violence’ following blunder at chaotic debate

Amnesty International USA on Wednesday urged President Donald Trump to condemn 'white supremacy and racist violence', a day after Mr. Trump...

New York police planned assault on Black Lives Matter protesters in Bronx on June 4, human rights group says in shocking 99-page report

New York City police planned the assault and mass arrests of peaceful protesters in the Mott Haven neighborhood of the South...

MOST POPULAR

Damning report finds detainees in Iran were sexually abused and given electric shocks in gruesome post-protest crackdown

Iran’s police, intelligence and security forces, and prison officials have committed, with the complicity of judges and prosecutors, a catalogue of...

IMF has given $31 billion to 76 countries to respond to COVID-19, including over $10 billion to 47 low income nations

The International Monetary Fund (IMF) has given $31 billion in emergency financing to 76 countries in the world to respond to...

Nigerian activists send open letter to President Buhari urging him to prosecute more than 100 high-profile corruption cases he has ignored

Nigerian activists have sent an open letter to President Muhammadu Buhari urging him to prosecute more than 100 high-profile corruption cases...

Nigeria could shut down on Monday as more unions pledge to join strike amid increase in power and petrol prices

Africa's most populous country, Nigeria, could shut down on Monday, as more unions pledge to join a strike action amid an...

Biden wins disastrous, embarrassing, worst presidential debate, as out of control Trump fails to change perceptions and refuses to condemn white supremacists

Joe Biden won the first presidential debate on Tuesday night amid countless interruptions by President Donald Trump who was supposed to...

Donors pledge $1 billion to Act Accelerator initiative to bolster access to COVID-19 tests, treatments and vaccines but $35 billion still needed

Donors have pledged $1 billion to the World Health Organization's Act Accelerator initiative to bolster access to COVID-19 tests, treatments and vaccines around the world, the UN said in a statement on Wednesday.The pledges have come from governments, international organizations, the civil society and the private sector to support a unified approach against the deadly virus.

[/read_more]

[read_more id="2" more="Read full article" less="Read less"]

73 Shares
Share
Tweet
WhatsApp
Reddit
Share