Breaking: Gudumbali, Nigerian town, falls to Boko Haram, triggering chaos and pandemonium

Although we are headquartered in Washington D.C. USA, our reporters and editors are working around the globe to cover what you care about. We invite you to donate to our fundraiser to help us keep our quality news free and available to all.  


Boko Haram terrorists on Saturday dislodged Nigerian troops and recaptured Gudumbali town, the headquarters of Guzamala Local Government Area in the northern part of Borno State, Northeast Nigeria, after a lengthy gun battle that started on Friday night.

Nigerian soldiers and civilians were fleeing the town as the terrorists took full control, two months after Tukur Buratai, Chief of Army Staff, in July, unveiled a cenotaph in remembrance of the 144 officers and soldiers who fell to Boko Haram in a single swoop in November 2015.

The fall of Gudumbali triggered fears that Boko Haram was back in full force contrary to claims by Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari that the terrorists had been defeated.

[read_more id="2" more="Read full article" less="Read less"]

Hundreds of displaced residents had only returned to the town a few weeks ago but were on the run again as the gunfight exploded on Friday night.

Online newspaper, SaharaReporters, quoted a source in Borno as saying that many civilians and soldiers took refuge in Gubio while the insurgents raided the town.

“Last night, there was sporadic shooting everywhere as the insurgents shouted ‘Allah is Great!’” the source said on the phone from Gubio.

“Boko Haram has dislodged troops and they are currently in Gudumbali, the headquarters of Guzamala LGA HQ.”

A second source, one familiar with the operations of the military in Borno, confirmed the attack, was quoted by the online newspaper as saying: “It is true. The attacks began yesterday and Boko Haram finally retook Gudumbali from the Army.”

Usman Mamman Durkwa, Deputy Governor of Borno State, also confirmed the development, telling SaharaReporters: “Thousands of people who were displaced and spent sme years in resettlement camps in maiduguri recently returned home after the liberation of those surrounding communities by our gallant security forces.

“However, I regret to confirm to you that there was another attack by insurgents on Gudumbali, even though I am yet to get the number of casualties”.

According to the newspaper, “the Gudumbali attack is still considered one of the deadliest single casualties of the military in the ongoing Boko Haram war. The victims were among a battalion of 750 soldiers who suffered the shock reprisal attack after fighting for four days through a heavily fortified rank of Boko Hara”.

[/read_more]

Today News Africa
Today News Africahttps://todaynewsafrica.com
TODAY NEWS AFRICA is registered and headquartered in Washington, District of Columbia, United States of America. Our publication is widely read, respected and influential. By providing daily answers to questions our readers have about the people, the businesses and the continent of Africa, we are reaching a diverse and wide audience from around the world. Our readers, many of them world leaders, trust us because we are independent and truthful. Our advertisers understand the difference between news, views and ads. Contact us: contactus@todaynewsafrica.com

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Trending Now

DR Congo rebel commander wanted for multiple crimes still a free man

Congolese authorities have not arrested a rebel commander wanted for multiple crimes under a June 2019 warrant even as his forces have...

Trump says Sudan to be removed from terrorism list if it pays $335 million in compensation

President Donald Trump on Monday said Sudan will be removed from the U.S. list of state sponsors of terrorism once it...

Anxiety in Africa as Johnson & Johnson conceals critical details about COVID-19 vaccine illness

Anxiety continued to mount across Sub-Saharan Africa on Monday over COVID-19 vaccine trials by Johnsons & Johnson, as the company continued...

Rights group urges AU to denounce crackdown on Cameroon’s opposition

Human Rights Watch on Monday urged the African Union (AU), the African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights (ACHPR), the Economic...

Mass prison break: Thugs disguised as protesters free over 200 inmates in Nigeria

Thugs disguised as protesters have freed over 200 inmates in Nigeria.The criminals disguised as EndSARS protesters freed...

MOST POPULAR

Damning report finds detainees in Iran were sexually abused and given electric shocks in gruesome post-protest crackdown

Iran’s police, intelligence and security forces, and prison officials have committed, with the complicity of judges and prosecutors, a catalogue of...

Africa shocked U.S. under Trump has worst coronavirus response in the world

President Donald Trump has "failed in his basic duty to protect Americans", world's renowned journalist Bob Woodward told Fox News Sunday...

IMF’s Georgieva says second round of support coming to Africa but Oxfam argues debt cancelation the only way out of COVID-19 turmoil

The Managing Director of the International Monetary Fund (IMF) Ms. Kristalina Georgieva said on Wednesday that the Washington DC-based institution is...

Johnson & Johnson vaccine trial taking place in South Africa halted by participant’s illness

Johnson & Johnson confirmed on Monday that it had paused its COVID-19 vaccine study because one of its participants was taken...

EXCLUSIVE: IMF economist details how COVID-19 economic turmoil in Asia will affect Sub-Saharan Africa

The COVID-19 pandemic is battering economies in Asia with a contraction expected for the first time in many decades. The economic...

DR Congo rebel commander wanted for multiple crimes still a free man

Congolese authorities have not arrested a rebel commander wanted for multiple crimes under a June 2019 warrant even as his forces have continued to carry out summary killings, rapes and sexual slavery, extortion, and forced recruitment of children, Human Rights Watch said on Monday.Congolese judicial authorities on June 7, 2019 issued the warrant for the militia leader, Guidon Shimiray Mwissa (known as Guidon),...

[/read_more]

[read_more id="2" more="Read full article" less="Read less"]

Share
Tweet
WhatsApp
Reddit
Share