Kristalina Georgieva, Managing Director of the International Monetary Fund (IMF), on Friday convened a new external advisory group to provide perspectives from around the globe on key developments and policy issues, including policy responses to COVID-19 economic crisis. Those appointed include, at least one African and former Nigerian Minister of Finance Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala.
“Even before the spread of Covid-19 and the dramatic health, economic, and financial disruptions it has brought, IMF members confronted a rapidly evolving world and complex policy issues,” Ms. Georgieva said. “To serve our membership well in this context, we need top-notch input and expertise from the widest range of sources, inside and outside the Fund.
“Toward this end, I am proud that an exceptional and diverse group of eminent individuals with high-level policy, market, and private sector experience has agreed to serve on my External Advisory Group. Today we had a dynamic discussion to gain their insights, and to receive informal reactions to our ideas and approaches,” she added.
The members of the Managing Director’s External Advisory Group are:
· Ms. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, former Finance Minister of Nigeria
· Mr. Tharman Shanmugaratnam, Senior Minister of Singapore and Chairman of the Monetary Authority of Singapore
· Ms. Kristin Forbes, Professor, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
· Mr. Kevin Rudd, former Prime Minister of Australia
· Lord Mark Malloch Brown, former United Nations Deputy Secretary-General
· Mr. Feike Sijbesima, Honorary Chair, DSM, Former CEO, Royal DSM
· Mr. Raghuram Rajan, Professor, University of Chicago
· Ms. Ana Botín, Group Executive Chairman, Santander
· Ms. Carmen Reinhart, Professor, Harvard University
· Mr. Mohamed A. El-Erian, Chief Economic Adviser, Allianz
· Mr. Scott Minerd, Chief Investment Officer, Guggenheim Investments
· Ms. Nyaradzayi Gumbonzvanda, Chair of ActionAid International
IMF said the Managing Director’s External Advisory Group will meet a few times a year with the IMF’s Managing Director, Deputy Managing Directors, and a sub-set of IMF department Directors.