All the soldiers from Chad who were sent to fight Boko Haram in Cameroon’s far north along the border with Nigeria as part of a multinational joint task force have withdrawn and returned to their country, a report said on Sunday.
The Chadian soldiers, who had the right to pursue Boko Haram militants into the Nigerian territory, a privilege Cameroon was not given, withdrew on Saturday, said local newspaper, L’Oeil du Sahel.
The reliable newspaper said there is no single Chadian soldier left in Cameroon since Saturday.
It was not very clear why Chad had decided to abandon Cameroon, but the task force which was meant to begin joint operations against Boko Haram since July ending is still struggling to be formed in November.
The Multinational Joint Task Force (MNJTF), a combined formation, comprising units, mostly military, from Benin, Cameroon, Chad, Niger, and Nigeria is headquartered in N’djamena and is mandated to bring an end to the Boko Haram insurgency. It is meant to have 8700 troops from the five countries.
But, there has been considerable scepticism in the international community that the new force can deliver results, especially because it has failed to meet deadline many times.
The deadline had been shifted many times as the countries and military elite wrangle over money and who gets what.
In January 2015, the MNJTF headquarters in Baga, Nigeria, was overrun by militants of Boko Haram, who then proceeded to massacre local residents and destroy the town. It was reported at the time, the Nigerian soldiers were present in the headquarters fled the attackers.
The force was expanded after a meeting with the French President in Paris with an increase number of troops and mandate, and relocation of the HQ to N’Djamena, Chad.
But since then, nothing much has been achieved. Boko Haram has continued to kill and attack the four countries in the Lake Chad Basin and displaced millions of people.