BREAKING: South Africa to be on lockdown from midnight Thursday as coronavirus cases skyrocket to over 400 Updated for 2021

82,110FansLike
2,966FollowersFollow
2,690SubscribersSubscribe
82,110FansLike
3,122FollowersFollow
2,690SubscribersSubscribe

Updated: March 1, 2021

President Cyril Ramaphosa announced on Monday that South Africa would be on lockdown from midnight Thursday for 21 days to combat the novel coronavirus pandemic.

The announcement came after Health Minister Zweli Mkhize announced earlier that the number of confirmed coronavirus cases had skyrocketed to 402, a jump of 128 since Sunday’s announcement.

[read_more id="2" more="Read full article" less="Read less"]

That number is a six-fold increase from just eight days ago, Mr. Rampahosa said in a live televised address.

“Those countries that have acted swiftly and dramatically have been far more effective in controlling the spread of the disease,” said Ramaphosa who declared a national state of disaster last week, and imposed measures like travel bans to curb the spread of coronavirus.

“We must therefore do everything within our means to reduce the overall number of infections and to delay the spread of infection over a longer period,” he added.

During the lockdown, individuals will not be allowed to leave their homes except under strict controlled circumstances while all shops and businesses will be closed except those providing essential services. He said temporary shelters will be set up for the homeless and medical security personnel will be exempt from the lockdown.

[/read_more]

Simon Ateba
Simon Ateba
Simon Ateba covers the White House, the U.S. government, the International Monetary Fund, the World Bank and other financial and international institutions for Today News Africa in Washington D.C. Simon can be reached on simonateba@todaynewsafrica.com

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Trending Now

TRENDING

Confidential U.S. government report concludes Ethiopia Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed leading ethnic cleansing in Tigray region

A confidential U.S. government report has concluded that the government of Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed in Ethiopia along with allied militia fighters are leading a systematic campaign of ethnic cleansing in Tigray."Whole villages were severely damaged or completely erased," the report, first obtained by The New York Times, says.It adds that fighters from the neighboring Amhara region of Ethiopia who moved to Tigray...

Stay connected

[/read_more]

[read_more id="2" more="Read full article" less="Read less"]

error: Alert: Content is protected !!
Share
Tweet
Reddit
Pocket
Share
More