Home HEALTH BREAKING: Trump bans all travel from UK and Ireland over coronavirus

BREAKING: Trump bans all travel from UK and Ireland over coronavirus Updated for 2021

82,139FansLike
2,966FollowersFollow
2,690SubscribersSubscribe
82,139FansLike
3,122FollowersFollow
2,690SubscribersSubscribe

Updated: February 24, 2021

The Trump administration has banned travel from the United Kingdom and Ireland beginning Monday at midnight, Vice President Mike Pence announced at a news conference Saturday afternoon.

Mr. Pence said citizens and legal U.S. residents will still be allowed to return home.

[read_more id="2" more="Read full article" less="Read less"]

In addition, President Trump has said the administration was considering some domestic travel restrictions for some hot spots, The Washington Post reported.

President Donald Trump announced at the White House on Wednesday night the United States will suspend travel from Europe to the United States for 30 days over the fast spreading coronavirus.

In his televised message from the White House, Trump said the unprecedented move was to protect the United States from COVID-19, the deadly respiratory disease caused by the novel coronavirus.

Trump said the measures will go into effect at midnight Friday. He said back then the “strong but necessary” restrictions would not apply to the United Kingdom.

He argued that while the United States suspended all flights from China to protect Americans from COVID-19, Europe failed to take the same strong measures, and as a result, saw a spike in infections, and imported them to the United States.

He said the new travel restrictions would prevent travelers from Europe from importing the coronavirus into the United States.

As the coronavirus spreads, several countries have imposed drastic measures to protect their citizens, including imposing travel restrictions and suspending flights from countries ravaged by COVID-19.

The Trump administration had already barred travelers from mainland China, where the virus originated last December from entering the United States.

It also barred travelers from Iran, which has seen a spike in infections, as well as all people who have traveled there for the past 14 days.

President Donald Trump also disclosed on Saturday he has taken the coronavirus test and was awaiting the results.

President Trump made the announcement before a briefing with the White House press corps.

He said he had his temperature taken, and was fine.

Fox News reported that members of the press corps were also getting their temperature taken when close to the President.

The Brazilian Embassy announced late on Friday that acting Ambassador Nestor Forster, who dined with President Trump on Saturday night at his South Florida club, has tested positive for coronavirus and would be quarantined.

Forster is the second Brazilian and third Mar-a-Lago guest to test positive, The Washington Post reported, adding that Trump has said he does not need to be tested but may do so “fairly soon.”

Anxiety began mounting fast in the United States on Friday after a second person who was with President Trump at the weekend tested positive for coronavirus.

Republican party officials said in an email on Friday that the latest diagnosis involves an individual who attended a Sunday luncheon hosted by Trump Victory, a committee that raises money for the Trump campaign and the Republican Party.

The Washington Post reported that President Trump spoke at the event, adding that on Saturday, Trump dined and was photographed with a senior Brazilian official who later tested positive.

There was some relief for President Trump on Friday after Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro said he did not test positive for coronavirus after a handshake with him at the weekend following earlier reports he had tested positive.

[/read_more]

Simon Ateba
Simon Ateba
Simon Ateba covers the White House, the U.S. government, the International Monetary Fund, the World Bank and other financial and international institutions for Today News Africa in Washington D.C. Simon can be reached on simonateba@todaynewsafrica.com

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Trending Now

TRENDING

Human Rights Watch concludes Abiy Ahmed’s soldiers bombed civilians to death, schools, hospitals and markets in Tigray region

Ethiopian federal forces carried out apparently indiscriminate shelling of urban areas in the Tigray region in November 2020 in violation of the laws of war, Human Rights Watch said on Wednesday. Artillery attacks at the start of the armed conflict struck homes, hospitals, schools, and markets in the city of Mekelle, and the towns of Humera and Shire, killing at least 83 civilians, including children, and wounding...

Stay connected

[/read_more]

[read_more id="2" more="Read full article" less="Read less"]

error: Alert: Content is protected !!
Reddit
Tweet
Share
Share
Pocket
Share
More