BREAKING: U.S. now has second highest coronavirus death toll behind Italy with another 2000 dead on Thursday and over 33,000 new cases

For the third day in a row, about 2000 people died from COVID-19 in the United States on Thursday, the third day with a similar number of deaths, according to Johns Hopkins data.

More than 468,000 people have now been infected in the United States and the overall death toll has exceeded 16,500, including about 7000 deaths in New York, according to statistics site worldometer. The U.S. now has the second highest coronavirus death toll after Italy.

The number of cases reported in New York has skyrocketed above 160,000, more than most affected countries in Europe and Asia, according to the latest tally.

Since April 1, 2020, more than 1,000 people have died from COVID-19 in the United States every day. And although public officials have been expressing optimism that the number of new infections was coming down, the opposite seems to be the case.

But the New York Governor and New York City Mayor said in recent days that New York has begun to see declining trends of hospitalizations and ICU admissions.

At a White House press briefing on Wednesday, Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, urged Americans to keep following social distancing guidelines. “We know the mitigation is having a positive effect,” he said.

The New York Times has reported that Chicago’s Cook County jail is the largest-known source of coronavirus infections in the U.S. and the White House has identified Chicago’s metro area as a risk for exponential growth of the coronavirus.

Trump on Tuesday attacked the World Health Organization (WHO) a day after its black Director General, Ethiopian Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus,  condemned extremely racist comments made by two French doctors.

“The W.H.O. really blew it. For some reason, funded largely by the United States, yet very China centric. We will be giving that a good look. Fortunately I rejected their advice on keeping our borders open to China early on. Why did they give us such a faulty recommendation?” Mr. Trump tweeted, in an attempt to blame WHO for his failures at home.

However, the New York Times reported on Monday how Mr. Trump ignored warnings from his top senior official as far back as January, warning that there could be a full blown coronavirus pandemic in the United States should nothing be done.

“The warning, written in a memo by Peter Navarro, President Trump’s trade adviser, is the highest-level alert known to have circulated inside the West Wing as the administration was taking its first substantive steps to confront a crisis that had already consumed China’s leaders and would go on to upend life in Europe and the United States,” The New York Times said.

“The lack of immune protection or an existing cure or vaccine would leave Americans defenseless in the case of a full-blown coronavirus outbreak on U.S. soil,” Mr. Navarro’s memo said. “This lack of protection elevates the risk of the coronavirus evolving into a full-blown pandemic, imperiling the lives of millions of Americans.”

At a press briefing on Wednesday, President Trump denied again seeing memos from his trade adviser Peter Navarro, warning in January and February the coronavirus crisis could turn into a pandemic and kill more than half a million Americans and cost close to $6 trillion.

Even after the warnings, Mr. Trump continued to behave as if there was no threat from the coronavirus.

In massive rallies, President Trump, the former entertainer turned politician, described the coronavirus as a hoax, downplayed it many times and encouraged people to go about their daily lives, claiming repeatedly the government had the virus under control.

Mr. Trump was making these comments even as his own scientists at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) were warning that valuable time was being wasted.

By the time the American President finally woke up, two months had been wasted and the virus had already taken root in the United States.

President Donald Trump speaking at a White House press briefing on Sunday repeated what he said last week that the coming days and weeks would be deadly.

Although more than a thousand people are dying every day, the worst is yet to come, according to U.S. Surgeon General Jerome Adams.

Speaking on “Fox News Sunday”, Adams said the next week will be “the hardest and the saddest week of most Americans’ lives”. He called it our “our Pearl Harbor moment, our 9/11 moment”

The number of coronavirus deaths in the United States has already eclipsed the total deaths from the 9/11 terror attacks in New York where the World Trade Center towers collapsed more than 18 years ago.

At a press briefing at the White House last Tuesday, President Donald Trump said the next two weeks in the U.S. will be “very painful”. The President said he wants “every American to be prepared for the days that lie ahead”.

White House model
White House model for coronavirus deaths.

Dr. Deborah Birx, the White House coronavirus task force coordinator, said at the briefing estimates showed between 1 million to 2 million in the U.S. could die from the virus if the current mitigation efforts, including social distancing are not maintained.

However, even with social distancing, between 100,000 and 240,000 deaths could be recorded, Birx said.

“As sobering a number as that is, we should be prepared for it,” said Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. “Is it going to be that much? I hope not, and I think the more we push on the mitigation, the less likelihood it will be that number.”

At a press briefing at the White House on Saturday, Dr. Anthony Fauci, the leading U.S. infectious disease expert insisted that social distancing should be implemented all over the country while President Trump at the same briefing said the country should be re-opened.

“You can take it to the bank,” Dr.Fauci, who is seen as speaking honestly to the American people said. “Mitigation works.”.

President Trump promptly reacted with “But we cannot destroy our economy”.

Recent polls have said that with the coronavirus pandemic still wreaking havoc and killing close to or above a thousand people in recent days, most people would not go back to work as long as they can be infected and die.

New Jersey moved to delay its primary election until July 7, and New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D) signed an order for all New Yorkers to use absentee ballots in the state’s election. Roughly a dozen states have delayed their primary elections.

California Gov. Gavin Newsom is confident that more than 200 million masks will be delivered to the state “at a monthly basis starting in the next few weeks.”

Across the U.S., the people who grow, process and keep food stocked on America’s shelves are doing heroic work, often for bottom-barrel pay.

Wisconsin won’t declare a primary winner until April 13 due to a legal fight on absentee voting. The state’s challenging primary may be the start of the 2020 election wars.

ICE has released more than 160 of 600 undocumented immigrants the agency identified as vulnerable to the coronavirus.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said Tuesday he will work with Minority Leader Chuck Schumer and Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin to increase funding for the Payroll Protection Program, the federal backstop to help small businesses and keep workers employed.

Between the lines: Data on fatalities generally lag a couple of weeks behind what’s fueling the outbreak, which is mainly the number of new cases and hospitalizations, NIAID Director Dr. Anthony Fauci told Fox News on Wednesday.

Read full article

  • State officials have stressed that lockdowns must continue even if cities begin to see slight improvements from social distancing.
  • Coronavirus testing capacity is still lagging far enough behind demand that the U.S. continues to only test the sickest patients, which allowed the coronavirus outbreak to spread without detection, almost certainly making it worse than it would have been otherwise.
Simon Ateba
Simon Ateba
Based in Washington, District of Columbia, United States of America, Simon leads a brilliant team of reporters, freelance journalists, analysts, researchers and contributors from around the world to run TODAY NEWS AFRICA as editor-in-chief. Simon Ateba's journalistic experience spans over 10 years and covers many beats, including business and investment, information technology, politics, diplomacy, human rights, science reporting and much more. Write him: [email protected]

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Trending Now

President Buhari snubs Finance Minister Zainab Ahmed in SEC appointments

More insights emerged on Tuesday on the nomination of Mr. Lamido Yuguda as the new Director-General of the Securities and Exchange...

One of Nigeria’s most corrupt pastors Chris Oyakhilome sanctioned by UK regulators for spreading falsehood and linking 5G to coronavirus

One of Nigeria's most corrupt pastors Chris Oyakhilome who has become infamous for imposing gate fees during end of the year's...

Popular Cameroonian pastor Frankline Ndifor who laid hand on COVID-19 patients dies from coronavirus

A popular Cameroonian pastor Frankline Ndifor who laid hands on COVID-19 patients has been killed by the deadly bug, and authorities...

Inside Angola’s First Lady Ana Dias Lourenço’s medical evacuation to Paris amid COVID-19 travel restrictions

It was not clear when things worsened. Life inside any presidential palace can be full of secrecy. The people outside often...

Donald Trump may not hang the official portrait of America’s first black President Barack Obama at the White House

President Donald Trump may not unveil the official portrait of America's first black President Barack Obama at the White House.
- Advertisement -

TOP NEWS

[/read_more]

Read full article

Subscribe to copy our content and download file
Share
WhatsApp
Reddit
Pin
Share