Cameroon soldiers get 10 years for murder of civilians in trial conducted behind closed doors

Although we are headquartered in Washington D.C. USA, our reporters and editors are working around the globe to cover what you care about. We invite you to donate to our fundraiser to help us keep our quality news free and available to all.  

A military court in Cameroon on Monday, September 21, sentenced four soldiers to 10 years in prison and one other to 2 years for the brutal killing of two women and two children in 2015.

Human Rights Watch said while the sentence breaks the norm of impunity for military abuses, the potential impact of the trial in setting accountability standards was compromised because the trial and sentencing took place behind closed doors and lacked transparency.

“Denying the public access to the trial is a breach of due process for the defendants, but also deprives the public of vital knowledge about and understanding of the trial,” said Lewis Mudge, Central Africa director at Human Rights Watch. “It’s not just a breach of international standards, but of a duty to the public to enable them have confidence in the rule of law by seeing justice done.”

[read_more id="2" more="Read full article" less="Read less"]

“Courts should explain and defend how they reached their verdict and justify the rationale for the sentences they hand down,” Mudge said. “If Cameroonian authorities are to make meaningful efforts to ensure accountability for abuses against civilians and end impunity, proceedings have to be transparent and should be before civilian courts.”

The 2015 executions, carried out by the soldiers in the village of Zelevet in Cameroon’s Far North region, were captured in a video that went viral in early July 2018. Seven soldiers who had been part of one of the many security operations against the Islamist armed group Boko Haram were ultimately put on trial. Five were found guilty on August 17, 2020 by a Yaoundé military court. The court ruled that two soldiers who had appeared in the video were not guilty, as “they watched the scene as others did the killings.” The lawyer of one of those convicted announced that he intends to appeal.

The seven soldiers were charged with joint participation in murder, breach of regulations, and conspiracy. Their trial started in August 2019, but holding it behind closed doors and not allowing national or international scrutiny of the proceedings casts doubts about the trial’s fairness. The court’s reasoning is unclear, as judicial authorities did not make any information about the trial public. A lawyer who had access to the case file told Human Rights Watch: “We have no idea as to what guided the judges on this verdict. We do not know what elements the court did or did not take into account.”

A civil suit on behalf of the victims’ families, allowed in military courts in Cameroon, was not filed.

The video showing the killing was initially dismissed as “fake news” by Cameroon’s communications minister. But a forensic analysis established that it was authentic and that the military was responsible for the killings. Cameroonian authorities later announced that the seven soldiers depicted in the video had been arrested and would be prosecuted.

Human Rights Watch said Cameroon’s armed forces have been repeatedly implicated in other serious crimes since the 2015 killings, and the government’s reaction has been to deny responsibility. In February 2020, Cameroonian soldiers killed 21 civilians in the village of Ngarbuh, in the North West region, in a reprisal attack aimed at punishing the population, whom the security forces accused of sheltering armed separatists. The government initially denied that the soldiers committed any crimes. However, officials later admitted that soldiers bore some responsibility for the killings and ordered the arrest of three members of the security forces.

Cameroonian security forces have committed widespread human rights violations and crimes in their counterinsurgency operations against Boko Haram in the Far North region, including extrajudicial executionsarbitrary arrestsenforced disappearancesincommunicado detention, systematic torture, deaths in custodyforced return of refugees, and forced labor.

[/read_more]

Today News Africa
Today News Africahttps://todaynewsafrica.com
TODAY NEWS AFRICA is registered and headquartered in Washington, District of Columbia, United States of America. Our publication is widely read, respected and influential. By providing daily answers to questions our readers have about the people, the businesses and the continent of Africa, we are reaching a diverse and wide audience from around the world. Our readers, many of them world leaders, trust us because we are independent and truthful. Our advertisers understand the difference between news, views and ads. Contact us: contactus@todaynewsafrica.com

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Trending Now

Damning report finds detainees in Iran were sexually abused and given electric shocks in gruesome post-protest crackdown

Iran’s police, intelligence and security forces, and prison officials have committed, with the complicity of judges and prosecutors, a catalogue of...

Nigerian activists sue President over electricity tariff and fuel price hike

Nigeria's Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project (SERAP) and 302 concerned Nigerians have filed a lawsuit against President Muhammadu Buhari and the...

Anxiety in Africa as Johnson & Johnson conceals critical details about COVID-19 vaccine illness

Anxiety continued to mount across Sub-Saharan Africa on Monday over COVID-19 vaccine trials by Johnsons & Johnson, as the company continued...

Joe Biden wins last presidential debate against Donald Trump

Joe Biden was surprisingly aggressive, it was perhaps the best debate he has had in 2020.Republicans...

Many shot, many killed, blood everywhere, as Africa’s most populous country slips into chaos

Nigeria, Africa's most populous country with more than 200 million people, is slipping into chaos. In the commercial city of Lagos,...

South Africa launches $6 billion COVID-19 employment stimulus

South Africa has launched a $6 billion (R100 billion) COVID-19 employment stimulus to be implemented over the next three years.

Nigerians in USA to hold ‘mother of all protests’ against police brutality and bad governance in their home country

Nigerians in the United States would hold the 'mother of all protests' on Saturday against police brutality and bad governance in...

Vice President Mike Pence’s top advisers, including his chief of staff, test positive for coronavirus

U.S. Vice President Mike Pence's chief of staff Marc Short, and two other top aides have tested positive for coronavirus.

Nigerians in USA hold protest against bad governance and police brutality in their home country

Nigerians in the United States on Saturday held a protest against bad governance and police brutality in their home country, shed...

Ethiopia’s Prime Minister erupts in anger after Trump’s Nile dam comments, says “Ethiopians have never kneeled to obey their enemies”

Ethiopia's Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed says his country "will not cave in to aggression of any kind" after President Donald Trump...

AstraZeneca and Oxford COVID-19 vaccine trials resume in US. They had continued in Africa

The Food and Drug Administration on Friday authorized trials of a vaccine being developed by pharmaceutical company AstraZeneca and Oxford University...

Johnson & Johnson resumes COVID-19 vaccine trials without providing information over illness as anxiety remains in Africa

Johnson & Johnson on Friday announced that it was resuming a COVID-19 vaccine trials in the United States without providing enough...

Police in U.S. failing to protect protesters from violence, as volatile elections near

Law enforcement agencies across the United States are failing to facilitate people’s fundamental right to freedom of peaceful assembly, and to...

54.2 million Americans have already voted representing 39.4% of total votes counted in 2016

At least 54.2 million Americans have already voted, according to data compiled by the U.S. Elections Project website, putting the 2020...

Vice President Mike Pence’s top advisers, including his chief of staff, test positive for coronavirus

U.S. Vice President Mike Pence's chief of staff Marc Short, and two other top aides have tested positive for coronavirus.Devin O'Malley, a spokesman for Mr. Pence said the Vice President and Second Lady both tested negative for the virus.“Vice President Pence and Mrs. Pence both tested negative for Covid-19 today, and remain in...

[/read_more]

[read_more id="2" more="Read full article" less="Read less"]

Share
Tweet
Reddit
Share
WhatsApp