COVID-19, the respiratory disease caused by the novel coronavirus, has now killed more people in Italy than in China where the virus originated last December, according to latest government figures released on Thursday.
Worse, in the past 48 hours, between Tuesday and Wednesday afternoon, at least 900 people died from the disease in Italy, bringing the total death toll there to 3405.
The government said 427 people were killed in the past 24 hours alone from COVID-19.
[read_more id="2" more="Read full article" less="Read less"]
About 3,245 people have died in China since the virus first emerged there late last year.
The outbreak in Italy was first reported on February 21, 2020 and has already claimed more lives than in China.
Hundreds of people continue to die from COVID-19 in Italy every day, even though the European country has been under lockdown since March 9, 2020.
Since Tuesday, the government started requiring that Italians fill out a police-issued self-declaration form before going out.
Residents need to state who they are and where they intend to go as well as the reason for going out. They also have to disclose they have not tested positive for coronavirus and are not under a 14-day quarantine.
More than 41,000 people in Italy have tested positive for coronavirus, and reports say healthcare system has been overwhelmed by the virus.
The World Health Organization (WHO) has warned that Europe was now the new epicenter for COVID-19.
On Wednesday, WHO called on Africans nations to wake up and prepare for the worst before it’s too late.
There are still less than 700 cases in Africa, but WHO said things could change rapidly.