Ebola outbreak has killed more than a thousand people in DRC, WHO says

We thank all our loyal readers for supporting us all these years. It's because of your contributions that we successfully deliver great journalism.


The Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo has killed more than a thousand people since it started nine months ago, the World Health Organization said on Friday.

In addition, attacks on treatment centers are continuing to hamper efforts to control the epidemic, WHO said, adding that the outbreak will continue to spread though the east of DRC.

WHO also announced plans to expand vaccinations in the coming weeks once a new treatment by Johnson & Johnson is approved. Already, another experimental vaccine made by Merck is being used.

Michael Ryan, executive director of WHO’s Health Emergencies Program, told reporters in Geneva that 119 attacks had been documented since January.

He said although there were enough supplies, the attacks on medical staff were making it hard to get to affected communities.

As a result, he said, “we are anticipating a scenario of continued intense transmission”.

WHO said more than 100,000 people have been vaccinated so far, and the treatment has been highly effective.

Simon Ateba | Today News Africa
Simon Ateba | Today News Africa
Born in a small village in Cameroon, groomed in Nigeria's most populous city of Lagos, and now in Washington D.C. to practice journalism at a global level, Simon is an investigative journalist and publisher of TODAY NEWS AFRICA based in Washington DC
Simon Ateba | Today News Africa
Simon Ateba | Today News Africa
Born in a small village in Cameroon, groomed in Nigeria's most populous city of Lagos, and now in Washington D.C. to practice journalism at a global level, Simon is an investigative journalist and publisher of TODAY NEWS AFRICA based in Washington DC

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

error: