Updated: February 24, 2021
President Donald Trump on Wednesday bowed to global outrage and signed an executive order ending his policy of taking migrant children from their parents at the U.S.-Mexico border.
Thousands of children had been separated from their parents since the policy was put in place about a month ago, and despite an avalanche of criticisms, Mr. Trump and his officials insisted that there was no going back.
But as the pressure intensified within the United States, including from members of his own political party, he caved and signed the new order on Wednesday.
“We want security for our country. The Republicans want security, and insist on security for our country, and we will have that and keep families together. It’s very important. I’ll be signing something in a little while that’s going to do that,“ Trump said at the White House, according to New York Post.
The order would expand the time that minors could be held in custody, which would allow families to remain together, but critics charge it could also mean that the kids would be kept in custody far longer than they can be held now, The Post said.
[read_more id="2" more="Read full article" less="Read less"]