Home Africa news Former New Jersey governor Chris Christie hospitalized with COVID-19 after preparing Trump...

Former New Jersey governor Chris Christie hospitalized with COVID-19 after preparing Trump for debate Updated for 2021

82,137FansLike
2,966FollowersFollow
2,690SubscribersSubscribe
82,137FansLike
3,122FollowersFollow
2,690SubscribersSubscribe

Updated: February 25, 2021

Former New Jersey Governor Chris Christie has been hospitalized after testing positive for Covid-19 on Saturday.

“In consultation with my doctors, I checked myself into Morristown Medical Center this afternoon. While I am feeling good and only have mild symptoms, due to my history of asthma we decided this is an important precautionary measure,” Chris Christie tweeted.

[read_more id="2" more="Read full article" less="Read less"]

Christie announced his positive test result in a tweet on saturday.

“I just received word that I am positive for COVID-19,” Christie wrote. “I want to thank all of my friends and colleagues who have reached out to ask how I was feeling in the last day or two. I will be receiving medical attention today and will keep the necessary folks apprised of my condition.”

He helped President Donald Trump prepare for the first presidential debate earlier this week.

President Trump has also been hospitalized with a source telling reporters on Saturday that the next 48 hours would be critical for him.

The source made the disclosure almost immediately after the President’s physician told a press briefing he was doing very well.

Coronavirus has killed about 210,000 Americans and infected more than 7.3 million people in the United States, according to the Johns Hopkins University virus tracker.

And even with the worst death toll in the world, about 200,000 more Americans are at risk of dying between now and January 1, according to a model developed by the Washington State University.

Yet, Mr. Trump, 74, overweight and at risk of dying from the virus, has repeatedly downplayed the risks of the coronavirus, by his own admission in a conversation was Washington Post journalist Bob Woodward.

He has repeatedly mocked those who wear masks or hold small campaign events to curtail the spread of the virus, as he did this week during his debate against Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden.

Apart from downplaying the pandemic, Mr. Trump has at times deflected attention to China and the World Health Organization, even though he knew as early as January, by his own admission, that the coronavirus was deadly, and even though he was warned the various could define his presidency.

In public, Trump told the American people the virus was not dangerous, that it would soon disappear, that it affects only the elderly, that there was no risk for virtually all other people.

He pushed for the economy and school to fully reopen even though the virus was escalating in various parts of the country.

Mr. Trump also frequently sidelined his own health officials, telling a press briefing recently the director of the Centers of Disease Control and Prevention Robert Redfield did not know what he was talking about. He also frequently attacked infection disease expert Anthony Fauci and ferociously attacked the World Health Organization (WHO) director general Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus.

His refusal to wear masks and his constant attacks against mask wearing led to millions of people refusing to wear them, with some dying in the process.

While Trump can afford the best treatment as the President of the United States, many other Americans who contract the virus cannot.

President Trump was administered supplemental oxygen on Friday at the White House, a source familiar with the President’s health told The Associated Press on Saturday, also after his doctor painted a rosy picture of how the President was doing.

The source said Trump was administered oxygen at the White House on Friday before he was transported to Walter Reed National Military Medical Center.

The person was not authorized to speak publicly and spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity.

That other information came shortly after an official released an anonymous statement, saying President Trump was “not on a path to full recovery.”

The unsigned statement was released to pool White House reporters who usually travel with the President.

The official said the next 48 hours would be critical, adding that the past 24 hours were “very concerning.”

That was not the picture the President’s physician painted at the military hospital where Trump is hospitalized just outside Washington DC.

Physician Sean Conley said on Saturday that President Trump “is doing very well.”

“The team and I are extremely happy at the progress the President has made,” he said.

Conley spoke to reporters at a military hospital where Trump is being hospitalized right outside Washington DC.

Conley said Trump has been free of fever in the past 24 hours. He said Trump was not on oxygen at the moment.

He quoted Trump as saying that he felt he could “walk out of it today.”

He said Trump was on remdesivir and would be on it for the next few days.

President Trump announced on Friday morning he and First Lady Melania Trump had tested positive for the novel coronavirus.

Three Republican Senators have also tested positive for the deadly bug. Senators Mike Lee (R-Utah) and Thom Tillis (R-N.C.) both said on Friday that they had tested positive for COVID-19. Senator Ron Johnson (R-Wis.) announced on Saturday that he too had tested positive for the novel coronavirus.

Trump’s senior adviser, Hope Hicks, has also tested positive for coronavirus.

Former Trump’s adviser Kellyanne Conway also announced on Friday she had tested positive for the coronavirus.

Three journalists have also tested positive for the virus in the past two days alone.

Several also other positive results have been announced in the past two days alone, including the former governor of New Jersey Chris Christie.

[/read_more]

Simon Ateba
Simon Ateba
Simon Ateba covers the White House, the U.S. government, the International Monetary Fund, the World Bank and other financial and international institutions for Today News Africa in Washington D.C. Simon can be reached on simonateba@todaynewsafrica.com

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Trending Now

TRENDING

Human Rights Watch concludes Abiy Ahmed’s soldiers bombed civilians to death, schools, hospitals and markets in Tigray region

Ethiopian federal forces carried out apparently indiscriminate shelling of urban areas in the Tigray region in November 2020 in violation of the laws of war, Human Rights Watch said on Wednesday. Artillery attacks at the start of the armed conflict struck homes, hospitals, schools, and markets in the city of Mekelle, and the towns of Humera and Shire, killing at least 83 civilians, including children, and wounding...

Stay connected

[/read_more]

[read_more id="2" more="Read full article" less="Read less"]

error: Alert: Content is protected !!
Reddit
Tweet
Share
Share
Pocket
Share
More