Four massive explosions leave 17 people dead in Equatorial Guinea’s largest city, more than 420 injured

Four massive explosions shook Equatorial Guinea’s largest city on Sunday, killing at least 17 people and leaving hundreds injured.

The health ministry said 17 people had died and 420 had been injured in the unprecedented blasts. A doctor in Bata, a former capital, told the state-run TVGE television that at least 20 people were dead.

Authorities said the blasts occurred on Sunday afternoon near a military armory in the port city of Bata about 150 miles from the capital Malabo.

The huge explosions sent giant plumes of smokes into the air and destroyed dozens of buildings. Television footage showed people

The country’s president Teodoro Obiang Nguema has been in power since a coup in 1979.

He is known for dictatorship, gargantuan corruption and a lavish lifestyle. He is currently the world’s longest serving President who secured a sixth term in 2016, winning 99 percent of the vote.

Chief White House Correspondent for

Simon Ateba is Chief White House Correspondent for Today News Africa. Simon covers President Joe Biden, Vice President Kamala Harris, the U.S. government, the United Nations, the International Monetary Fund, the World Bank and other financial and international institutions in Washington D.C. and New York City.

Show More
error: Alert: Share This Content !!
Share
Reddit
Tweet
Share

Adblock Detected

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker