Updated: March 1, 2021
Iran launched more than a dozen ballistic missiles against U.S. military and coalition forces in Iraq on Tuesday evening, as it seeks to revenge the assassination last week of General Qassem Soleimani, the Pentagon said in a statement.
“It is clear that these missiles were launched from Iran and targeted at least two Iraqi military bases hosting U.S. military and coalition personnel at Al-Assad and Irbil,” read the statement from the Assistant to the Secretary of Defense for Public Affairs Jonathan Hoffman.
[read_more id="2" more="Read full article" less="Read less"]
Hoffman said the ballistic missiles hit U.S. bases at approximately 5:30 p.m. (EST) on January 7.
“We are working on initial battle damage assessments,” he said.
Hoffman added: “In recent days and in response to Iranian threats and actions, the Department of Defense has taken all appropriate measures to safeguard our personnel and partners. These bases have been on high alert due to indications that the Iranian regime planned to attack our forces and interests in the region.
“As we evaluate the situation and our response, we will take all necessary measures to protect and defend U.S. personnel, partners, and allies in the region.
“Due to the dynamic nature of the situation, we will continue to provide updates as they become available”.
In a tweet, President Trump said he would address the nation Wednesday morning following Iranian missile attack.
“Assessment of casualties & damages taking place now. So far, so good! We have the most powerful and well equipped military anywhere in the world, by far!”