Kano CP threatens to kill free Zakzaky protesters

Although we are headquartered in Washington D.C. USA, our reporters and editors are working around the globe to cover what you care about. We invite you to donate to our fundraiser to help us keep our quality news free and available to all.  


The Islamic Movement in Nigeria says the Kano state Police Commissioner, Rabiu Yusuf, has reportedly confided in some members of the movement that he will not hesitate to use force on them whenever they come out on their peaceful Free Zakzaky protest in his area of jurisdiction.

This was made known to newsmen in a press statement released by Ibrahim Musa, the President Media Forum of the Islamic Movement, on Thursday.
 
The movement believed that the Kano CP meant to kill the protesters, when he said he will use force on them, since that is what happened when he used his force on members of the Islamic Movement in 2016 and 2017 during the yearly Arbaeen trek in commemoration of the martyrdom of Imam Husain, the Grandson of Prophet Muhammad.
 
Below is the press statement in full:

On Wednesday 19th December, 2018, the Kano State Police Commissioner, Rabiu Yusuf invited some members of the Islamic Movement to his office and bluntly threatened to use maximal force against them should they dare to henceforth defy his orders never again to conduct a Free Zakzaky protest in the state.
 
The Islamic Movement has decided to go public on the issue of this threat of the use of force, despite the fact that it will not in anyway break our resolve and we are not in anyway shaken by this latest threat.
 
The same CP had on Monday 14/11/2016 sent a detachment of policemen to open fire on thousands of members of the Islamic Movement who were peacefully marching during the Arbaeen religious festival, killing at least 40 people. Till this day, only 18 corpses handed over to us were duly buried according to Islamic rites, the rest were buried secretly by the police. Again on Sunday, 05 November, 2017, the same CP sent a police unit to use live bullets during yet another Arbaeen trek killing at least 3 persons, including an infant.
 
It is surprising that the CP would toe this line only some moments after the President warned the police against unprofessional conducts such as illegal detentions, extrajudicial killings, torture and violation of fundamental human rights at the convocation and passing out parade of the First Regular Cadet Course at the Police Academy, Wudil, Kano State. This recent outburst of the CP clearly goes contrary to the President’s rhetoric that ”We must abide by the constitutional code of conduct in policing our people. It is appropriate to warn you as Police Officers not to see yourselves as being above the Law.”
 
Free Zakzaky protest is our unassailable right as enshrined in the constitution.  The provisions of Sections 38 and 39 of 1999 constitution guarantees our right to congregate peacefully, which is what we have been doing since the illegal detention of our leader Sheikh Zakzaky on 14th December, 2015.
 
Besides, there is a recent ruling of a Kano state High Court that affirmed  the right of Shiites to organise their processions in so far as they are peaceful and do not infringe on the rights of other people. The recent video evidence by the New York Times however has conclusively proved that our processions are usually peaceful, don’t block the free flow of traffic but are attacked by security forces without provocation.
 
To this end, we call on the public and in particular the international community to prevail upon the Commissioner of police to thread cautiously in his inordinate hatred against peaceful unarmed protesters. He must be called to order not to carry out his senseless threat to kill innocent unarmed citizens who are exercising their right to peaceful protest as guaranteed by the constitution.
 
If the CP and his superiors are uncomfortable with incessant free Zakzaky protests, are advised to do the needful to obey a 2016 court judgement freeing our leader, Sheikh Zakzaky and his wife from their illegal incarceration. Only this will bring an end to the protest and not threats or intimidations.  Threats will only strengthen our resolve to fight for our Rights and protect them.

[read_more id="2" more="Read full article" less="Read less"]

[/read_more]

Today News Africa
Today News Africahttps://todaynewsafrica.com
TODAY NEWS AFRICA is registered and headquartered in Washington, District of Columbia, United States of America. Our publication is widely read, respected and influential. By providing daily answers to questions our readers have about the people, the businesses and the continent of Africa, we are reaching a diverse and wide audience from around the world. Our readers, many of them world leaders, trust us because we are independent and truthful. Our advertisers understand the difference between news, views and ads. Contact us: contactus@todaynewsafrica.com

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Trending Now

Damning report finds detainees in Iran were sexually abused and given electric shocks in gruesome post-protest crackdown

Iran’s police, intelligence and security forces, and prison officials have committed, with the complicity of judges and prosecutors, a catalogue of...

Anxiety in Africa as Johnson & Johnson conceals critical details about COVID-19 vaccine illness

Anxiety continued to mount across Sub-Saharan Africa on Monday over COVID-19 vaccine trials by Johnsons & Johnson, as the company continued...

Joe Biden wins last presidential debate against Donald Trump

Joe Biden was surprisingly aggressive, it was perhaps the best debate he has had in 2020.Republicans...

Many shot, many killed, blood everywhere, as Africa’s most populous country slips into chaos

Nigeria, Africa's most populous country with more than 200 million people, is slipping into chaos. In the commercial city of Lagos,...

South Africa launches $6 billion COVID-19 employment stimulus

South Africa has launched a $6 billion (R100 billion) COVID-19 employment stimulus to be implemented over the next three years.

Nigerians in USA to hold ‘mother of all protests’ against police brutality and bad governance in their home country

Nigerians in the United States would hold the 'mother of all protests' on Saturday against police brutality and bad governance in...

Trump says Sudan to be removed from terrorism list if it pays $335 million in compensation

President Donald Trump on Monday said Sudan will be removed from the U.S. list of state sponsors of terrorism once it...

Vice President Mike Pence’s top advisers, including his chief of staff, test positive for coronavirus

U.S. Vice President Mike Pence's chief of staff Marc Short, and two other top aides have tested positive for coronavirus.

Nigerians in USA hold protest against bad governance and police brutality in their home country

Nigerians in the United States on Saturday held a protest against bad governance and police brutality in their home country, shed...

Ethiopia’s Prime Minister erupts in anger after Trump’s Nile dam comments, says “Ethiopians have never kneeled to obey their enemies”

Ethiopia's Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed says his country "will not cave in to aggression of any kind" after President Donald Trump...

AstraZeneca and Oxford COVID-19 vaccine trials resume in US. They had continued in Africa

The Food and Drug Administration on Friday authorized trials of a vaccine being developed by pharmaceutical company AstraZeneca and Oxford University...

Johnson & Johnson resumes COVID-19 vaccine trials without providing information over illness as anxiety remains in Africa

Johnson & Johnson on Friday announced that it was resuming a COVID-19 vaccine trials in the United States without providing enough...

Police in U.S. failing to protect protesters from violence, as volatile elections near

Law enforcement agencies across the United States are failing to facilitate people’s fundamental right to freedom of peaceful assembly, and to...

54.2 million Americans have already voted representing 39.4% of total votes counted in 2016

At least 54.2 million Americans have already voted, according to data compiled by the U.S. Elections Project website, putting the 2020...

IMF approves disbursement of additional $1 billion for Angola to respond to COVID-19 economic fallout

The International Monetary Fund (IMF) on Wednesday approved the disbursement of an additional $1 billion for Angola to respond to COVID-19 economic fallout, bringing total disbursements under the Extended Fund Facility (EFF) to $2.5 billion.The IMF executive board also approved an augmentation of total access for Angola by about $765 million through the end of the EFF arrangement.

[/read_more]

[read_more id="2" more="Read full article" less="Read less"]

WhatsApp
Reddit
Share
Tweet
Share