Legendary New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick turns down Trump’s Medal of Freedom over deadly insurrection Updated for 2021

82,124FansLike
2,966FollowersFollow
2,690SubscribersSubscribe
82,124FansLike
3,122FollowersFollow
2,690SubscribersSubscribe

Updated: February 27, 2021

New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick has turned down President Donald Trump’s Medal of Freedom, he announced in a statement on Monday.

The rejection came after a report surfaced he would receive the presidential medal of freedom later this week.

[read_more id="2" more="Read full article" less="Read less"]

“Recently, I was offered the opportunity to receive the Presidential Medal of Freedom, which I was flattered by out of respect for what the honor represents and admiration for prior recipients,” he said in a statement. “Subsequently, the tragic events of last week occurred and the decision has been made not to move forward with the award.”

He added: “Above all, I am an American citizen with great reverence for our nation’s values, freedom and democracy. I know I also represent my family and the New England Patriots team. One of the most rewarding things in my professional career took place in 2020 when, through the great leadership within our team, conversations about social justice, equality and human rights moved to the forefront and became actions, Continuing those efforts while remaining true to the people, team, and country I love outweigh the benefits of any individual award.”

Belichick won six Super Bowl titles with the Patriots after he took helm in 2000.

[/read_more]

Simon Ateba
Simon Ateba
Simon Ateba covers the White House, the U.S. government, the International Monetary Fund, the World Bank and other financial and international institutions for Today News Africa in Washington D.C. Simon can be reached on simonateba@todaynewsafrica.com

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Trending Now

TRENDING

Human Rights Watch concludes Abiy Ahmed’s soldiers bombed civilians to death, schools, hospitals and markets in Tigray region

Ethiopian federal forces carried out apparently indiscriminate shelling of urban areas in the Tigray region in November 2020 in violation of the laws of war, Human Rights Watch said on Wednesday. Artillery attacks at the start of the armed conflict struck homes, hospitals, schools, and markets in the city of Mekelle, and the towns of Humera and Shire, killing at least 83 civilians, including children, and wounding...

Stay connected

[/read_more]

[read_more id="2" more="Read full article" less="Read less"]

error: Alert: Content is protected !!
Share
Tweet
Reddit
Pocket
Share
More