Mozambique begins mourning its dead after horrific cyclone Updated for 2021

82,087FansLike
2,966FollowersFollow
2,700SubscribersSubscribe
82,087FansLike
3,122FollowersFollow
2,700SubscribersSubscribe

Updated: March 6, 2021


Mozambique began mourning its dead on Wednesday after catastrophic cyclone winds and flooding left hundreds of people dead as well as a trail of unprecedented destruction. The 3-day national mourning will end on Friday.

Cylone Idai hit Mozambique’s port city of Beira on Thursday last week and moved inland before spreading to Zimbabwe and Malawi where hundreds of people were also killed.

[read_more id="2" more="Read full article" less="Read less"]

The 170 kilometer per hour (105 mile per hour) winds submerged entire villages in Mozambique, cut roads and left many stranded without food, with the country’s President initially saying that as many as a thousand people may have died.

On Tuesday, President Filipe Nyusi of Mozambique corrected himself, saying that cyclone Idai had killed more than 200 people in the southern African country with more bodies being discovered.

In neighboring Zimbabwe, the government said the cyclone had killed 98 people but the final death toll was likely to be higher. It was a similar story in Malawi.

The European Union on Tuesday donated an initial emergency aid package of 3.5 million euros ($3.97 million) to Mozambique, Malawi and Zimbabwe.

Britain and the United States have also promised to help. In a statement, the United States Embassy in Mozambique said it was mobilizing to support Mozambique.

[/read_more]

Simon Ateba
Simon Ateba
Simon Ateba covers the White House, the U.S. government, the International Monetary Fund, the World Bank and other financial and international institutions for Today News Africa in Washington D.C. Simon can be reached on simonateba@todaynewsafrica.com

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Trending Now

TRENDING

Confidential U.S. government report concludes Ethiopia Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed leading ethnic cleansing in Tigray region

A confidential U.S. government report has concluded that the government of Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed in Ethiopia along with allied militia fighters are leading a systematic campaign of ethnic cleansing in Tigray."Whole villages were severely damaged or completely erased," the report, first obtained by The New York Times, says.It adds that fighters from the neighboring Amhara region of Ethiopia who moved to Tigray...

Stay connected

[/read_more]

[read_more id="2" more="Read full article" less="Read less"]

error: Alert: Content is protected !!
Share
Tweet
Reddit
Pocket
Share
More