300,504FansLike
227FollowersFollow
6FollowersFollow
FollowersFollow
907FollowersFollow
138SubscribersSubscribe

Nigeria Govt Promises Money In Adverts To “Credible” Online Publications

Although we are headquartered in Washington D.C. USA, our reporters and editors are working around the globe to cover what you care about. We invite you to donate to our fundraiser to help us keep our quality news free and available for all.

The Nigerian Minister of information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, declared on Friday that the government will no longer regulate online publications in the country, a break away from a controversial bill proposed by the Nigerian Senate last year, but will rather patronise credible ones with money in the form of adverts.
The minister said online publishers are responsible enough to regulate themselves and adverts money deserve to go to “credible” ones.
He spoke on Friday when he met with Online Publishers in Lagos, said a statement by his spokesman Segun Adeyemi.

“If the online publications suffer credibility problems, they stand the risk of losing the confidence of their readers and the advertisers who provide the lifeblood for the publications’ survival,” the Minister said, suggesting that it was in their own interests to maintain credibility.

Alhaji Mohammed said while the number of online publications is bound to grow in the days ahead, only the credible ones will continue to enjoy patronage, either from the readers or from the advertisers.

He said it was in the interest of government that online publications continue to grow in number “because the more the number of such online publications, the easier it becomes to bridge the information gap between the government and the governed, and the easier it becomes for the government to carry the citizens along in the formulation and implementation of policies that touch on their lives”.

The Minister promised that the Federal Government would patronise the online publications through adverts, saying: “All we ask for, in return, is that you provide accurate information to the people, and avoid sensationalism and partisanship.”

He sought the publishers’ support to ensure the success of the various campaigns that have either being launched or are about to be launched by the Federal Government.

”The National Security Awareness Campaign, aimed at rallying the support of Nigerians for the war on terror, is ongoing. Also, the National Sensitization Campaign against Corruption was formally launched in Abuja on Monday, and it is aimed at rallying Nigerians against the cankerworm of corruption which has eaten deep into the fabric of our society. We are also preparing to launch a National Re-orientation Campaign, which is tagged ‘CHANGE BEGINS WITH ME’, to achieve a paradigm shift in the way we do things,” Alhaji Mohammed said.

He described the war against corruption as one of the cardinal programmes of the Buhari Administration and said “Some have said the government is dwelling too much on the war against corruption to the detriment of other areas of governance. Our response to that is that indeed, there is nothing like dwelling too much on this war, which is a war of survival for our nation.

“The situation is grim, very grim indeed, as far as corruption is concerned. That is why the Federal Government is embarking on this sensitization Campaign Our approach is not to vilify anyone but to use facts and figures to give Nigerians a sense of the cost of corruption.”

The Minister blamed corruption for the fact that while the countrys budget had grown consistently from just over 900 billion Naira in 1999 to over 6 trillion Naira in 2016, poverty has also grown almost in direct proportion.

”The simple reason is that appropriated funds have ended up in the pockets of a few,” he said.

Giving a comparative analysis of the number of those who benefitted from the funds allegedly collected from the Office of the National Security Adviser (ONSA) and funds allocated for the 2015 Zonal Intervention Projects, Alhaji Mohammed said ”the amount received by 21 individuals and companies from ONSA is more than the 2015 Zonal Intervention Project budget by 2.829 billion Naira!

”Whereas the sum of 51.829 billion Naira was appropriated for 1,278 projects in the Zonal Intervention Projects for 2015, a total of 21 individuals and companies benefited from the Dasukigate to the tune of 54.659 billion Naira as we know so far.

”The implication, therefore, is that the amount received by 21 individuals and companies is more than the 2015 Zonal Intervention Project budget by 2.829 billion Naira! Furthermore, the value of what beneficiaries of Dasukigate contributed to development is zero, compared to how the lives of Nigerians would have been transformed, poverty reduced and livelihoods improved by the Zonal Intervention Projects which would have cost 2.829 billion Naira less than Dasukigate.

He appealed to the Online Publishers to support the war against corruption by ensuring that Nigerians are well informed about the evils of corruption, saying: ”This is not Buhari’s war. This is not APC’s war. This is Nigeria’s war and failure is not an option.”

[/read_more]

[read_more id="2" more="Read full article" less="Read less"]

TODAY NEWS AFRICA
TODAY NEWS AFRICAhttps://todaynewsafrica.com
TODAY NEWS AFRICA is registered and headquartered in Washington, District of Columbia, United States of America. Our publication is widely read, respected and influential. By providing daily answers to questions our readers have about the people, the businesses and the continent of Africa, we are reaching a diverse and wide audience from around the world. Our readers, many of them world leaders, trust us because we are independent and truthful. Our advertisers understand the difference between news, views and ads. Contact us: contactus@todaynewsafrica.com

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Trending Now

300,504FansLike
227FollowersFollow
6FollowersFollow
1FollowersFollow
907FollowersFollow
138SubscribersSubscribe

JUST IN

WHO says only $35 billion needed to end acute phase of COVID-19 in the world

The World Health Organization (WHO) says $35 billion is needed to end the acute phase of COVID-19 pandemic in the world...

After first recognizing only the richest Nigerian on Time list of 100 most influential people in 2020, Buhari finally congratulates polio eradication champion Dr. Tunji Funsho

After first recognizing only the richest Nigerian on Time list of 100 most influential people in 2020, President Muhammadu Buhari on...

Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari says he’s okay with money politics and vote buying

Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari said on Friday he is okay with money politics and vote buying but against election violence.

Rights group calls for “urgent changes” ahead of October presidential vote in Guinea

A human rights organization on Friday called for "urgent changes" ahead of October presidential vote in Guinea, citing legislative elections and...

WHO says social and environmental factors behind Africa’s low COVID-19 cases

COVID-19 transmission in Africa has been marked by relatively fewer infections, which have been on the decline over the past two...

MOST POPULAR

Damning report finds detainees in Iran were sexually abused and given electric shocks in gruesome post-protest crackdown

Iran’s police, intelligence and security forces, and prison officials have committed, with the complicity of judges and prosecutors, a catalogue of...

Ethiopia charges prominent opposition figure Jawar Mohammed with terrorism

As human rights organizations continue to warn that Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed is turning Ethiopia into a dictatorship, his administration on...

WHO and UNICEF sign 10-year partnership to promote mental health of children and adolescents

 A new partnership between WHO and UNICEF is calling for key actions in universal health coverage, mental health, emergencies and nutrition

Bill Gates praises Africa’s response to COVID-19 but warns against collateral damage

Microsoft founder Bill Gates on Sunday praised Africa's response to the novel coronavirus but warned against collateral damage, including a drastic...

In moving film, UN calls for collective action to tackle global challenges, including COVID-19, racism, climate change and poverty

The United Nations, Project Everyone and 72 Films are launching “Nations United - Urgent Solutions for Urgent Times,” a first of...

CAR parliament adopts news electoral code

The Central African Parliament has passed a bill on 23 September giving more time to the National Election Authority (ANE) to better organize the voter registration which has been delayed.At the risk of endangering the entire electoral process, the presidential majority and the opposition agreed to postpone the convening of voters, which was due to take place on...

Stay connected

[/read_more]

[read_more id="2" more="Read full article" less="Read less"]

WhatsApp
Reddit
Share
Tweet
Share