Nigeria spent billions on 292 water projects, minister tells court, but water is nowhere near dining tables

Although we are headquartered in Washington D.C. USA, our reporters and editors are working around the globe to cover what you care about. We invite you to donate to our fundraiser to help us keep our quality news free and available to all.  


Nigeria spent billions of naira on 292 water projects across the country between 2010 and 2016, the Nigerian Minister of Water Resources, Suleiman Adamu, told a court on Friday, but water to drink remains mainly on paper and not on dining tables in Nigeria.







Water on paper not on dining tables

Mr Adamu presented documents last week before the Federal High Court in Lagos following a freedom of information request filed by rights and accountability group SERAP.

[read_more id="2" more="Read full article" less="Read less"]

The minister had in September asked the court for more time to compile and furnish SERAP with information on the spending on water projects and their locations.

Last Friday, the right time finally came and the minister provided SERAP with a huge document showing how the funds for water projects in Nigeria were spent.

Why it matters: SERAP had argued that while billions of naira had been spent on water projects, those projects remained only on paper as there was no water anywhere for Nigerians to drink.

“We are studying the large documents on spending on several water projects, with some completed but also several more uncompleted. Our team is analyzing the total project sums, comparing the amounts spent on projects. We will publish the full information together with our analysis on our website and social media platforms shortly. We are now sharing the information on just 19 of the 292 projects, with summaries of some of the amounts spent. We have also set up a verification team to check the status of projects against the total amounts reportedly spent,” said SERAP deputy director Timothy Adewale.

SERAP added: “We welcome Mr Adamu’s demonstrated commitment to the Freedom of Information Act. He is our Public Defender Number 1 of the FOI. We call on the Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development, Mr. Audu Ogbeh to emulate Mr Adamu by immediately releasing information on spending in his ministry, as stated by the court. The National Assembly, ministries, agencies and departments should also learn from the good example shown by Mr Adamu by honouring and respecting the FOI Act, and thereby contributing to the efforts to achieve greater level of transparency and accountability in Nigeria.”

The documents read in part: “out of the N2,000,000,000.00 of the total project sum for assisted small town water supply and sanitation programme in Adamawa, Delta and Ekiti states, N20,537,667.00 was appropriated and reportedly spent in 2011. N30,000,000.00 was appropriate and spent in 2012; N150,000,000.00 was appropriated and spent in 2013; N110,000,000.00 was appropriated and spent in 2014; N11,764,706.00 was appropriated and spent in 2015; and N60,000,000.00 was appropriated and spent in 2016.”

“The total project sum to construct Otor-Iyede water supply in Isoko North local government, Delta State was N489,169,002.26. However, the project was stated to be only 30% completed; with zero appropriation and spending for 2010; 2011; 2012; 2013; 2014 and 2015. But N50,000,000.00 was appropriated and spent on the project in 2016.”

“Both the rehabilitation/upgrading of Kafin Hausa water supply scheme in Kafin Hausa local government area of Jigawa state with total project sum of N91,340,065.53; and the improvement of water supply in major towns in Kaugama local government area of Jigawa state with total project sum of N42,278,610.00 were said to be 100% completed. For the Kafin project, N100,000,000.00 was appropriated but only N82,886,174.95 was spent in 2016. While N250,000,000.00 was appropriated for 2016 for the Kaugama project, only N38,435,100.00 was spent.”

“Improvement of water supply in major towns of Malam Madori/Kaugama; Kirikasanma/Kaugama/M. Madori; Kaugama; and Auyo local government areas of Jigawa state with total project sums of N40,372,750.00, N42,323,600.00, N65,221,114.99, and N44,542,102.00, respectively, and the projects were said to be 100% completed. The construction of 11 number of handpump boreholes in Hagejia West Senatorial District of M. Madori/Kaugama local government of Jigawa state with total project sum of N15,331.299.09 was also said to be 100% completed.”

“Both the drilling of 4 number of solar/motorized boreholes in Birnin Kebbi/Kalgo/Bunza, Kebii state with total project sum of N45,095,803.65 and the drilling of 4 number of boreholes, installation of treatment plant, storage tanks and limited reticulation for Oji River regional water supply with total project sum of N45,803,361.41 were said to be 100% completed.”

“Construction of solar powered motorised borehole scheme with tanks and water collection points in 43 wards of Kauran Namoda, Zamfara state with total project sum of N44,011,662.07 was said to be 100% completed. However, only N40,213,480.00 was spent in 2011. Also, similar project for additional 15 wards in the state with total project sum of N44,011,662.07 was said to be 100% completed; but only N42,754,001.00 of that sum was reportedly spent in 2011. The same project in 4 wards of Maru local government area of Zamfara state with total project sum of N27,089,990.06 was also said to be 100% completed. But only N26,838,932.35 of that sum was spent in 2011.”

“Of the total project sum of N21,788,555.87 meant to construct solar powered motorised borehole scheme with tanks and water collection points at the Usman Danfodio University, Sokoto, only N18,268,283.00 was said to be spent in 2011 and the project 100% completed. No further spending indicated for 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016. Also, similar water project in Ishiagu town, Ebonyi state had N25,365,928.94 but only N21,561,045.60 of that total project sum was spent in 2011, with no spending reported for 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016.”

“Construction of solar powered borehole in Kwakuti BI-water palkoro local government area of Niger state had N3,200,000.00 as total project sum and was said to be 100% completed. But only N2,950,000.00 was reportedly spent in 2012. There was no further spending for between 2013-2016. Similar water project in Magajiya Suleja with total project sum of N3,200,000.00 was also said to be 100% completed; however, only N2,950,000.00 was spent on the project in 2012, with no further spending reported for 2013-2016. N3,200,000.01 was budgeted and spent in 2012 on construction of solar powered boreholes in Katambo bologi village of Edoti Iga, Niger State. However, the project was said to be only 50% completed.”

“N9,600.000.00 was said to be spent on similar project in Rasat, fan and Gashish B/Ladi, Plateau state in 2012, with status of 100% completed. N9,600,00.00 was spent on the construction of 3 solar powered boreholes in the Helpang (Lolo Pwo-mol) area of the state.”

[/read_more]

Simon Ateba
Simon Ateba
Based in Washington, District of Columbia, United States of America, Simon leads a brilliant team of reporters, freelance journalists, analysts, researchers and contributors from around the world to run TODAY NEWS AFRICA as editor-in-chief. Simon Ateba's journalistic experience spans over 10 years and covers many beats, including business and investment, information technology, politics, diplomacy, human rights, science reporting and much more. Write him: simonateba@todaynewsafrica.com

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Trending Now

DR Congo rebel commander wanted for multiple crimes still a free man

Congolese authorities have not arrested a rebel commander wanted for multiple crimes under a June 2019 warrant even as his forces have...

Trump says Sudan to be removed from terrorism list if it pays $335 million in compensation

President Donald Trump on Monday said Sudan will be removed from the U.S. list of state sponsors of terrorism once it...

Anxiety in Africa as Johnson & Johnson conceals critical details about COVID-19 vaccine illness

Anxiety continued to mount across Sub-Saharan Africa on Monday over COVID-19 vaccine trials by Johnsons & Johnson, as the company continued...

Rights group urges AU to denounce crackdown on Cameroon’s opposition

Human Rights Watch on Monday urged the African Union (AU), the African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights (ACHPR), the Economic...

Mass prison break: Thugs disguised as protesters free over 200 inmates in Nigeria

Thugs disguised as protesters have freed over 200 inmates in Nigeria.The criminals disguised as EndSARS protesters freed...

MOST POPULAR

Damning report finds detainees in Iran were sexually abused and given electric shocks in gruesome post-protest crackdown

Iran’s police, intelligence and security forces, and prison officials have committed, with the complicity of judges and prosecutors, a catalogue of...

Africa shocked U.S. under Trump has worst coronavirus response in the world

President Donald Trump has "failed in his basic duty to protect Americans", world's renowned journalist Bob Woodward told Fox News Sunday...

Ethiopia charges prominent opposition figure Jawar Mohammed with terrorism

As human rights organizations continue to warn that Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed is turning Ethiopia into a dictatorship, his administration on...

IMF’s Georgieva says second round of support coming to Africa but Oxfam argues debt cancelation the only way out of COVID-19 turmoil

The Managing Director of the International Monetary Fund (IMF) Ms. Kristalina Georgieva said on Wednesday that the Washington DC-based institution is...

Cybercriminals target South Africa, Kenya and Nigeria with millions of attacks in 2020, and the year is not over

South Africa, Kenya and Nigeria have already seen millions of cyberattacks in 2020 with three months to the end of the...

DR Congo rebel commander wanted for multiple crimes still a free man

Congolese authorities have not arrested a rebel commander wanted for multiple crimes under a June 2019 warrant even as his forces have continued to carry out summary killings, rapes and sexual slavery, extortion, and forced recruitment of children, Human Rights Watch said on Monday.Congolese judicial authorities on June 7, 2019 issued the warrant for the militia leader, Guidon Shimiray Mwissa (known as Guidon),...

[/read_more]

[read_more id="2" more="Read full article" less="Read less"]

Share
WhatsApp
Reddit
Tweet
Share