The Nigerian Army has now issued a deadline for the capture of the country’s terrorist-in-chief, Abubakar Shekau, who had been declared dead several times in the past only to re-emerge with more deadly attacks.
Shekau, who was deputy to Mohammed Yusuf, the founder of Boko Haram, took over the terrorist organisation in 2009 after Yusuf was killed while in police custody.
Under his reign of terror, thousands of people have been killed in Nigeria, Cameroon, Chad and Niger, and million others have been displaced. Thousands have also been kidnapped in several countries, including the Chibok girls who were abducted in their school in April 2014.
All attempts to kill or capture Shekau even after a split of his organisation last year proved unsuccessful. On Friday, the Army finally issued a deadline for his capture.
“Today, Friday 21st July 2017, the Chief of Army Staff, Nigerian Army, Lieutenant General Tukur Yusufu Buratai, has directed the Theatre Commander, Operation LAFIYA DOLE, Major General Ibrahim Attahiru, to capture Abubakar Shekau, the so-called and self-styled leader of Boko Haram terrorists group, dead or alive,” the Nigerian Army said in a statement.
“The Theatre Commander has further been directed to do so within 40 days. He is to employ all arsenal at the disposal of the Theatre Command to smoke out Shekau wherever he is hiding in Nigeria,” said the statement signed by Brigadier General Sani Kukasheka Usman, the Director Army Public Relations.
“The general public is please requested to also assist and volunteer information that would lead to the accomplishment of this task,” he added.
The Army had said several times that it had killed Shekau only for the terrorist-in-chief to re-emerge with more deadly attacks.