President Nana Akufo-Addo of Ghana Tuesday spoke with President Muhammadu Buhari, expressing his sincere apology for demolition of a building on the premises of Nigerian High Commission in Accra, Ghana.
In a telephone call, the Ghanaian leader told President Buhari that he has directed full investigation into the incident.
Earlier in the day, it further emerged that some suspects had been arrested, and will be arraigned in court.
[read_more id="2" more="Read full article" less="Read less"]
Last week, man showed up with armed men and teared down the staff quarters of the Nigerian High Commission in Accra with a bulldozer.
Reports said the businessman reportedly claimed the block of property which was destroyed was built on his land and showed up with evidence to back up his claims.
As the bulldozer brought down the property, the government in Ghana did not intervene, reports added. A petition by the Nigerian government fell on deaf ears, the reports said.
Reports said policemen in Ghana watched from afar as the building was being destroyed without doing anything.
It was learned that the building was being constructed to house staff and visiting diplomats to the High Commission.
The diplomatic incident may severe relations between two of the most powerful countries in West Africa. The government in Ghana was unavailable for comments.
Geoffrey Onyeama, the Nigerian Foreign Affairs Minister, condemned the “outrageous criminal attacks in Accra, Ghana”, and said the administration of President Muhammadu Buhari was in talks with the government of President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo of Ghana.
“We strongly condemn two outrageous criminal attacks in Accra, #Ghana, on a residential building in our diplomatic premises by unknown persons in which a bulldozer was used to demolish the building
“We are engaging the Ghanaian Government and demand urgent action to find the perpetrators and provide adequate protection for Nigerians and their property in Ghana,” Onyeama tweeted.