Updated: March 7, 2021
U.S. President Donald Trump has scheduled no bilateral meeting with any African leader attending at the 73rd United Nation General Assembly in New York next week, the American Ambassador to the United Nations, Nimrata “Nikki” Haley said on Thursday.
Haley said the only African leader President Trump would have a bilateral with is the President of the North African country of Egypt Abdel Fattah el-Sisi.
[read_more id="2" more="Read full article" less="Read less"]
She highlighted America’s agenda and focus at the UN General Assembly this year but made no mention of any Sub-Saharan African interaction, meeting or focus.
Haley was addressing journalists at the headquarters of the United Nations in New York on Thursday.
She took no questions from an African journalist and no African questions were asked.
President Trump has received only two sub-Saharan African leaders since he assumed office in 2017. He received Nigeria’s Muhammadu Buhari on April 30 this year and recently met with Uhuru Kenyatta of Kenya at the White House.
Mr Trump has been accused of referring to African nations as “shithole” nations. He denied making the offensive comment, although American newspapers insisted that their reports were accurate.
- Four massive explosions leave 17 people dead in Equatorial Guinea’s largest city, more than 420 injured
- IRS is sending you $1400. Here is everything you need to know about Biden’s stimulus checks
- Opinion | Women in Leadership: Achieving an equal future in a COVID-19 World
- Biden to sign executive order expanding voting access as Republicans seek to restrict voting rights after election loss
- What they are saying about President Biden’s $1.9 trillion American Rescue Plan
It was not clear why President Trump has scheduled no meeting with any African leaders, or whether it is in continuation of what many perceive as neglect of African nations.
President Trump would host all heads of government and heads of state and may accidentally come face to face with some African leaders, but those meetings are not on his schedule.