Home Latest Senegalese elect President

Senegalese elect President Updated for 2021

82,130FansLike
2,966FollowersFollow
2,690SubscribersSubscribe
82,130FansLike
3,122FollowersFollow
2,690SubscribersSubscribe

Updated: February 26, 2021


Senegalese voters hit polling stations across the West African country on Sunday morning to elect their new President.

President Macky Sall was expected to win following strong economic growth in his first term and weak opposition candidates before him.

[read_more id="2" more="Read full article" less="Read less"]

The two popular candidates who could have posed a real threat to Sall were disqualified.

Former mayor of Dakar, Khalifa Sall and Karim Wade, son of former President Abdoulaye Wade, were barred from running due to corruption convictions.

In a statement, President Abdoulaye Wade, who was in power from 2000 to 2012, said the vote was being rigged and told supporters of his son to boycott the poll.

The other serious but weak opposition candidate is Ousmane Sonko. In all, there are four opposition candidates but no one gives them a chance.

Sonko is a former tax inspector who is popular among the youth while third-time contender and former Prime Minister Idrissa Seck and lawyer Madicke Niang and IT professor Issa Sall are also running.

Sall, 57, has promised to deliver universal healthcare and better access to education in his second term.

“Victory in the first round is inevitable,” he told a crowd earlier in the week.

About 6.5 million people are registered to vote and official results are due out on Friday with a run-off for the top two on March 24 if no one secures a majority.

[/read_more]

Simon Ateba
Simon Ateba
Simon Ateba covers the White House, the U.S. government, the International Monetary Fund, the World Bank and other financial and international institutions for Today News Africa in Washington D.C. Simon can be reached on simonateba@todaynewsafrica.com
SourceReuters

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Trending Now

TRENDING

Human Rights Watch concludes Abiy Ahmed’s soldiers bombed civilians to death, schools, hospitals and markets in Tigray region

Ethiopian federal forces carried out apparently indiscriminate shelling of urban areas in the Tigray region in November 2020 in violation of the laws of war, Human Rights Watch said on Wednesday. Artillery attacks at the start of the armed conflict struck homes, hospitals, schools, and markets in the city of Mekelle, and the towns of Humera and Shire, killing at least 83 civilians, including children, and wounding...

Stay connected

[/read_more]

[read_more id="2" more="Read full article" less="Read less"]

error: Alert: Content is protected !!
Reddit
Tweet
Share
Share
Pocket
Share
More