Home coronavirus South Africa halts AstraZeneca vaccine after receiving one million doses: It's not...

South Africa halts AstraZeneca vaccine after receiving one million doses: It’s not effective at stopping new COVID-19 variant

82,139FansLike
2,966FollowersFollow
2,690SubscribersSubscribe
82,139FansLike
3,122FollowersFollow
2,690SubscribersSubscribe

Updated: February 24, 2021

South Africa on Sunday halted the use of AstraZeneca-Oxford coronavirus vaccine, after evidence emerged that it did not protect clinical-trial participants from mild to moderate illness.

South Africa received one million doses of coronavirus on February 1, hoping to begin massive vaccinations and contain the disease in Africa’s most affected nation.

[read_more id="2" more="Read full article" less="Read less"]

But, the findings that the vaccine was not effective against the more contagious virus variant that was first identified there a few months ago is a blow to South Africa.

Scientists in South Africa said people who had been infected by the older variant of the virus were not also protected against the new variant even after vaccination with AstraZeneca vaccine.

More than 46,000 people have died in South Africa, the highest death toll in Africa.

There are fears that the new variant known as B.1.351 could infect and kill more people in South Africa and in the 32 countries where it has already spread.

Scientists did not say whether the astraZeneca vaccine protected people against severe disease from the new variant since most participants were young and less likely to become severely ill.

This made it difficult for scientists to know how the vaccine behaves in older people who are more vulnerable.

[/read_more]

Simon Ateba
Simon Ateba
Simon Ateba covers the White House, the U.S. government, the International Monetary Fund, the World Bank and other financial and international institutions for Today News Africa in Washington D.C. Simon can be reached on simonateba@todaynewsafrica.com

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Trending Now

TRENDING

Human Rights Watch concludes Abiy Ahmed’s soldiers bombed civilians to death, schools, hospitals and markets in Tigray region

Ethiopian federal forces carried out apparently indiscriminate shelling of urban areas in the Tigray region in November 2020 in violation of the laws of war, Human Rights Watch said on Wednesday. Artillery attacks at the start of the armed conflict struck homes, hospitals, schools, and markets in the city of Mekelle, and the towns of Humera and Shire, killing at least 83 civilians, including children, and wounding...

Stay connected

[/read_more]

[read_more id="2" more="Read full article" less="Read less"]

error: Alert: Content is protected !!
Reddit
Tweet
Share
Share
Pocket
Share
More