Trump administration to recall Department of Health and Human Services detailees from WHO offices around the world

The Donald Trump administration said on Thursday it will scale down its engagement with the World Health Organization (WHO) until withdrawal in July 2021 if President Trump wins re-election next November. He’s currently down in the polls and Joe Biden, his Democratic opponent has no interest in pursuing his policies.

The administration said in scaling down its engagement with the WHO, it will recall the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) detailees from WHO headquarters, regional offices, and country offices, and reassign them elsewhere.

In a statement, U.S. State Department spokeswoman Morgan Ortagus added that the U.S. participation in WHO technical meetings and events will be determined on a “case-by-case basis.”

She wrote: “The United States has long been the world’s most generous provider of health and humanitarian assistance to people around the world.  This assistance is provided with the support of the American taxpayer with the reasonable expectation that it serve an effective purpose and reach those in need.

“Unfortunately, the World Health Organization has failed badly by those measures, not only in its response to COVID-19, but to other health crises in recent decades.  In addition, WHO has declined to adopt urgently needed reforms, starting with demonstrating its independence from the Chinese Communist Party.

“When President Trump announced the U.S. withdrawal from that organization, he made clear that we would seek more credible and transparent partners.

“That withdrawal becomes effective on July 6, 2021, and since the President’s announcement, the U.S. government has been working to identify partners to assume the activities previously undertaken by WHO.

“Today, the United States is announcing the next steps with respect to our withdrawal from the WHO and the redirection of American resources.  This redirection includes reprogramming the remaining balance of its planned Fiscal Year 2020 assessed WHO contributions to partially pay other UN assessments.

“In addition, through July 2021, the United States will scale down its engagement with the WHO, to include recalling the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) detailees from WHO headquarters, regional offices, and country offices, and reassigning these experts.  U.S. participation in WHO technical meetings and events will be determined on a case-by-case basis.”

Chief White House Correspondent for

Simon Ateba is Chief White House Correspondent for Today News Africa. Simon covers President Joe Biden, Vice President Kamala Harris, the U.S. government, the United Nations, the International Monetary Fund, the World Bank and other financial and international institutions in Washington D.C. and New York City.

Show More
error: Alert: Share This Content !!
Share
Reddit
Tweet
Share

Adblock Detected

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker