U.S. condemns massacre of peaceful protesters in Sudan


The U.S. has condemned the recent attacks on protesters in Sudan that left at least 60 people dead.

“We send our condolences to the victims and families who lost loved ones. The U.S. remains committed to working with the people of Sudan, along with our international partners, in pursuit of a peaceful solution in Sudan,” Morgan Ortagus, the U.S. Department of State Spokesperson said in a statement late on Wednesday.


Sudan’s military offered to hold talks with opposition groups on Wednesday without conditions, two days after a crackdown on protesters in central Khartoum left at least 60 people dead, prompting the United States, the United Kingdom and Norway to issue a warning that peace was in jeopardy in the north African country.

Lieutenant General Abdel Fattah al-Burhan made the offer to protesters after violence erupted in Khartoum following the army’s decision to cancel all deals with the opposition.

“We in the military council, extend our hands to negotiations without shackles except the interests of the homeland,” al-Burhan, the head of Sudan’s ruling military council, said on state TV.

Local and International media quoted medics linked to the opposition as saying on Wednesday that at least 60 people were gunned down by Sudanese soldiers on Monday when troops stormed a protest camp in Khartoum.

It was the worst outbreak of violence since the army ousted president Omar al-Bashir in April following months of mass protests against his rule.

According to western news agency Reuters, “the raid marked a pivotal moment in the development of post-Bashir Sudan – a rift between the powerful military leaders and the opposition groups who had been haggling for weeks over who should lead the transition to democracy”.

Reuters said several streets in other parts of the capital were blocked by demonstrators on Wednesday even as gunfire rang out in the distance.

The African Union dispatched an envoy to Khartoum for talks with all sides, Moussa Faki Mahamat, the chairperson of the African Union Commission, said in a tweet.

“My special envoy is currently in Khartoum and holding talks with all the parties and I look forward to brief the @AfricanUnion Peace&Security Council when it meets tomorrow to evaluate the current situation in #Sudan,” Faki tweeted

In a joint statement on Tuesday, the United States, Norway and the United Kingdom condemned the latest violence in Sudan, warning that the transitional military council in the north African country has put the transition process and peace in jeopardy.

Sudan has been in turmoil before and after President Omar al-Bashir was ousted in April following months of street protests.

Mr. al-Bashir, who came to power in a military coup in 1989, ruled what was until 2011 Africa’s largest country with an iron fist. Street protests forced him to step down in April.
The Transitional Military Council seized power and promised to organize elections and return authority to a civilian government.

However, in recent weeks, the military council has seemed to be consolidating power with no intention to relinquish it.

In a statement on Tuesday, the governments of the U.S., UK and Norway, known as Troika, said the violent attacks in Sudan on June 3 resulted in the killing and injuring of many peaceful civilian protesters.

“By ordering these attacks, the Transitional Military Council has put the transition process and peace in Sudan in jeopardy,” the three governments said, adding that “we call for an agreed transfer of power to a civilian-led government as demanded by the people of Sudan”.

“We welcome the statement of the Chairperson of the African Union (AU) and support the important role of the AU in solving the crisis in Sudan, including its demand for an immediate handover to a civilian-led government”.

The Troika also expressed its serious concern over the TMC’s announcement that it will cease negotiations with the Forces for Freedom and Change, retract all previous agreements with them on formation of an interim government, and will hold elections within nine months”.

“The people of Sudan deserve an orderly transition, led by civilians, that can establish the conditions for free and fair elections, rather than have rushed elections imposed by the TMC’s security forces”.

Meanwhile, Sudanese authorities have denied that more than a hundred people have been killed in an attempt by the security forces to crush pro-democracy protests with Sudan’s health ministry putting the number of people who’d died at no more than forty-six, according to British network, the BBC.

Mudawi Ibrahim, one of Sudan’s best known human rights activists, told the BBC that the military had no choice but to hand over power to civilians.

Simon Ateba | Washington DC
Simon Ateba | Washington DC
Born in a small village in Cameroon, groomed in Nigeria's most populous city of Lagos, and now in Washington D.C. to practice journalism at a global level, Simon is an investigative journalist and publisher of TODAY NEWS AFRICA, USA based in Washington DC
Simon Ateba | Washington DC
Simon Ateba | Washington DC
Born in a small village in Cameroon, groomed in Nigeria's most populous city of Lagos, and now in Washington D.C. to practice journalism at a global level, Simon is an investigative journalist and publisher of TODAY NEWS AFRICA, USA based in Washington DC

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here