We are at war with a virus that threatens to tear us apart and must confront it, WHO Director-General tells G20 leaders

81,885FansLike
2,966FollowersFollow
3,980SubscribersSubscribe
81,885FansLike
3,122FollowersFollow
3,980SubscribersSubscribe

Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, Director-General of the World Health Organization, told G20 leaders on Thursday “we are at war with a virus that threatens to tear us apart – if we let it.“

- Advertisement -

Addressing Heads of State at an extraordinary virtual G20 Leaders’ Summit that focused on COVID-19, the respiratory disease caused by the novel coronavirus, Dr. Ghebreyesus told the world’s most powerful leaders, including President Donald Trump: “you have come together to confront the defining health crisis of our time”.

He welcomed the G20‘s initiative to find joint solutions and work together, and urged them to fight and unite against the coronavirus.

- Advertisement -

[read_more id="2" more="Read full article" less="Read less"]

Right Now: The coronavirus pandemic continues to wreak havoc around the world with more than 500, 000 infections recorded so far, and over 22,000 deaths, according to Johns Hopkins University virus tracker. These numbers were changing rapidly.

- Advertisement -

What then?: Dr Tedros’ call was clear, WHO said. “First, he urged leaders to fight without excuses, without regrets – thanking countries who have already taken steps and urgently asking that they do more.

“Second, he encouraged them to unite, stressing that no country can fight this alone, and calling on all countries to build on the solidarity already sparked by the crisis.

“Third, he exhorted them to ignite a global movement to ensure this never happens again”. 

He welcomed G20 leaders‘ commitment “to do whatever it takes to overcome the pandemic” to protect lives and livelihoods, as well as restore confidence and shore up stability currently threatened in trade and other sectors, and to commit to take all necessary health measures and seek to ensure adequate financing to contain the pandemic and protect people, especially the most vulnerable.“

In a statement received by TODAY NEWS AFRICA in Washington D.C., WHO said the G20 committed to support and further strengthen its mandate in coordinating the response, and called for full funding of WHO‘s Strategic Preparedness and Response Plan.

They also pledged to work together to increase research and development funding for vaccines and medicines, strengthen international scientific cooperation, and leverage digital technologies.

“In turn, they tasked WHO and other relevant organizations with assessing gaps in pandemic preparedness and report the findings of this assessment to the G20 Finance and Health Ministers, in order to establish a global initiative on pandemic preparedness and response together,” the statement by WHO read.

[/read_more]

- Advertisement -
IMG 2787 scaled
Simon Ateba
Simon Ateba covers the White House, the U.S. government, the International Monetary Fund, the World Bank and other financial and international institutions for Today News Africa in Washington D.C. Simon can be reached on simonateba@todaynewsafrica.com

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Trending Now

TRENDING

00:13:26

EXCLUSIVE: Amnesty International urges Biden to call out Al-Sisi over “vicious crackdown” in Egypt

Written by Simon Ateba and Kristi Pelzel in Washington D.C. Amnesty International on Wednesday urged U.S. President Joseph R. Biden Jr. to call out President Abdel Fattah Al-Sisi of Egypt over what it described as "a vicious crackdown against activists, media, and people who do not align with views of the state or his religion." <img src="https://todaynewsafrica.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/26539495495_bc64347012_c.jpg" alt="Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi sits with U.S. Secretary of...

[/read_more]

[read_more id="2" more="Read full article" less="Read less"]

error: Alert: Content is protected !!
Share
Tweet
Reddit
Pocket
Share
More